how big of a pen do i need for 2 sebastopols?

hdowden

Crowing
8 Years
Aug 14, 2011
louisiana
title says it all
smile.png
will be getting some this year and need to get started on the pen for them.

Ditto what HappyMtn said. 2 geese running in your fenced back or front yard is great fun! You'll need to be aware of your local conditions as to whether to put them in a more secure location at night. We have dogs that keep most things run off.
If you are purchasing goslings, I would put them in a secure pen at night till they are mostly grown.

Ideally, you are buying adults, so you know you have a pair and the quality of feather
smile.png
(if that's what you are looking for)

it is no wheres near safe for them to free frange around here due to roaming dogs (just 2 days ago i say a pit bull roaming which is against the law here but have no idea where it came from first time seeing it, also have a trio of mixed mutts that have killed poultry here before im close to just shooting them not to mention the large owls). there are about 5 acras of land here i think maybe more not sure anymore lol
hide.gif
. i did read somewheres that there should be at least 10 square feet per goose is that correct though i will provide more just want to know the bare minum as well in case i get asked by someone who sees them. always good to know as much as possible
smile.png

what about feed i have read that some feed them dog food. i know that is not healthy for chickens but what about geese wouldn't that hold true for them as well?

trying make sure i have read things right before i get them

a complete waterfowl feed and whole grains, or an all flock/flock raiser type feed with whole grains added are best feed choices. 90% of their diet should be grazing on pasture/grass. If you live where it snows fodder is a great way to give greens in the winter. If you have wondering dogs be sure you have A. a livestock guard dog (great pyrenees or similar breed meant to guard) or a good secure fence with hot wire to keep the dogs from digging and pushing under it. A secure nighttime house is a must as well, since geese are a favorite meal of raccoons, fox, coyote ect.

In that case, make the pen as big as possible or portable, or you will have them in a mud pit pretty quickly.

I would not give them dog food. Geese do not need the animal by-products that dog food has, or all that corn either. I still don't understand why people think dogs should eat that much corn.

Most geese are not tropical, so they are built to make it through winter pretty easily with just additional grains, grassy hay and whatever vegetables you find they like. Mine are particularly fond of turnip greens and carrots, both of which I keep in the garden all year. Its amazing how the greens survive even under snow. If you can utilize some of that acreage to start them little food plots, you'll be in good shape.

First thing if you have made up you mind about getting geese make sure to get their housing together first and secure from all preditors....... Make sure you can close them in safely at night. Then let them free range in an area where preditors can not get them. Have straw and or pine shavings in the area where they are up at night to be comfy.
Get your feed before you get the geese so you have everything they need before they come, unless you already have them. Make sure they have either a kiddy pool so they can bathe in there and keep theirself clean. You can also use a cement mixer plastic pan they are a bit heavier.

I have our sebastopols in big dog kennels the larger the better. We have welded wire on the top and all around the bottome of the whole kennel so racoon fingers can not get in there to them.Tarps across the top, back and two sides. Use ties to keep the tarps in place. My husband made the tops like a roof with the tarps.
Hope this helps you some. Oh, and if you want can move the dog kennels if you have some friends to help move them.
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom