How can I introduce new chickens to my flock

So we have 11 hens and 3 roosters
So 14 birds? Or will you get rid of some of those males?

Our coop is 6ft by 8ft, and 8ft high. It has an attached run that is 8ft by 16ft.... We live in Northern New York state in the Adirondacks.
I'd say you're already at or beyond your capacity for your climate...unless your run is weather and predator proof.

So 14 birds? Or will you get rid of some of those males?

I'd say you're already at or beyond your capacity for your climate...unless your run is weather and predator proof.
Our run is predator proof, and we r in the process of making it weather proof, so they will have more space during the winter. Here in the winter it can go down to - 40F and snows almost everyday because we have lake effect snow. But, most of April to November they free range almost all day everyday. Our summers don't get that intense.

I live in lake effect too....I would strongly advise you to wait until the spring to add birds.
Get thru your first winter first, see how those 14 birds fare in the housing you have now.

I live in lake effect too....I would strongly advise you to wait until the spring to add birds.
Get thru your first winter first, see how those 14 birds fare in the housing you have now.
OK, good point... I think that's what we r gna do. I think we might end up getting more chicks in the spring if none of our girls go broody

Back
Top Bottom