How can I sex and ostrich chick at 1-4 months of age?

zabi

Chirping
5 Years
Sep 6, 2014
Lusaka
Hello fellow BYC,
I am a Veterinary student and want to know that is it possible to vent sex ostrich chicks? I am from a country which have no avian vets and also we don't have the genetic material to do a feather or blood sexing of the ostriches and I want to learn a few things from people who are well learned to teach me an easy method to find out the sex of ostrich chicks. Your response would be highly appreciated. TIA

Can we see it. I actually have a little experience with ostriches. There used to be a farm of them across the street from me. The males are enormous and mean as you know what.

Years ago, folks on this site used to talk about vent-sexing emus.

So, we understand that the family of ratites -- ostrich, cassowary, kiwi, emu, and rhea -- should all be anatomically similar, so you should be able to teach yourself to vent-sex from an on-line description.

I recall that it involves up-ending the chick, and applying gentle pressure to the rim of the vent. This, if the chick is male, makes the penis become visible.

And my bit of advice: think of the exercise in two parts. The second is the business of the actual vent-sexing. The first is the positioning/incapacitating of the chick. It must be safe from falling, and injuring itself; and it must be immobilised so you can readily perform the procedure.

Good luck!!

SE

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom