How do I get my chicken to come to me by name

IRS

In the Brooder
Apr 3, 2024
I have a 5-week-old chicken and I'm trying to get it to come to me by name the chicken has imprinted on me well it comes up to me every time I put my hand in its cage and sometimes jumps out of its cage when it sees me the only problem I'm having is it following me I have to crouch down and wave my hands at it for it to come to me and I don't want to be doing that every time I want to call it over to me so do any of you have any tips on how to call a chicken over using a word.

(Here are some pictures of my chick)

Attachments

• 20240928_173342.jpg
    20240928_173342.jpg
    702.1 KB · Views: 20
  • 20240928_173407.jpg
    20240928_173407.jpg
    361.3 KB · Views: 12
Keep calling it by name and give it eye contact. You can also try making a specific sound and associate it with some treats and it will eventually follow you.

If she already comes when you put your hands out, give her a certain call sign, for excample. Put your hands out and say "*the chickens name* come here!" Always rember the pitch and what you said. Once she comes give her a treat as a reward. My hen comes when I call her, and it is so cute!

If she already comes when you put your hands out, give her a certain call sign, for example. Put your hands out and say "*the chickens name* come here!" Always rember the pitch and what you said. Once she comes give her a treat as a reward. My hen comes when I call her, and it is so cute!
Wow thank you so much! I will definitely start doing this also you think my chick is a hen? Because I ask people here what gender my chick is and they also say it's too early to tell.

It takes repetition and time. My favorite hen knows her name, but of course chickens will be chickens. They are often stubborn and do not want to come because they are distracted by something else. Start by using food or petting it when it responds to being called. Food should not always be a reward when you are training them to know their name, because that would be an issue when you want them to come quickly and you do not have a reward at hand.

Keep in mind that the chicken is at the age where they are still needing you to take care of it, so it is bound to see you as a mother figure and be willing to follow you. Because of the six week mark being when chicks are fully independent from their dam, this chick is not far away from also being independent. However, I am going to assume this is the only chick you have, so likely it will think humans are its flock and want to stay with them forever. That would make it more likely to come to you on command.

Wow thank you so much! I will definitely start doing this also you think my chick is a hen? Because I ask people here what gender my chick is and they also say it's too early to tell.
Still too early to tell. Six weeks is usually the age where their gender is apparent, but not for all chickens. Some chicks can be sexed at two weeks due to obvious gender features. Some chicks can only be sexed well after six weeks, but usually not. Post a picture of this chick a week later to see whether we can tell if it a cockerel or pullet. Speaking of that, your chick is certainly not a hen, because . . .

Rooster/Cock - A male chicken over a year old.
Cockerel - A male chicken under a year old.
Hen - A female chicken over a year old.
Pullet - A female chicken under a year old.

Ooh, I did not realize I called your chicken a she, I thought your chicken was. Seems to have a pretty big waddle for its age, so I am going to go with roo, hopping you can keep him if he is a roo.

Ooh, I did not realize I called your chicken a she, I thought your chicken was. Seems to have a pretty big waddle for its age, so I am going to go with roo, hopping you can keep him if he is a roo.
Wattles, not waddle. And those wattles are actually really small and pale, so is the comb. But again, we cannot sex this chick yet. Only wild guesses could be made!

Sorry, I have called wattles, waddle for the longest of times 😬... Not sure what breed he/she is, but I dont know, seems pretty big (comb)
I'm pretty sure my chick is a Australorp chicken and I think it's a pullet the comb seems pretty small to me I have this image of the comb size of a 5-week old pullet and cockerel if you want to look at it.

Attachments

• 31045_rooster_maybe_arrows_large_web_view.jpg
    31045_rooster_maybe_arrows_large_web_view.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 8

Back
Top Bottom