How do I keep ducks from destroying grass?

Oct 15, 2020
South Carolina
I’ve had my ducks for about 6 months now and I’m having a hard time keeping the grass inside their enclosure. I know the water from their pool has a poor effect on the grass, but even areas away from the pool are becoming bare and muddy. I expected there to be some loss/damage to the grass inside but not to this extent. I only have 2 ducks in a large enclosed area, and they’re allowed out into the other part of the yard during the day. I’m not sure if there’s anything I can do about it, but any suggestions would be appreciated! I don’t want my babies laying in mud all the time.

I wouldn't expect any duck enclosure to stay in grass. It took my ducks a couple months to kill every last green blade of grass in their fairly large pen. Now they're in a different one, which I've piled with wood chips, which pretty much takes care of the mud problem. And they get let out every day to forage in the grass that's not in their enclosure.

I’ve had my ducks for about 6 months now and I’m having a hard time keeping the grass inside their enclosure. I know the water from their pool has a poor effect on the grass, but even areas away from the pool are becoming bare and muddy. I expected there to be some loss/damage to the grass inside but not to this extent. I only have 2 ducks in a large enclosed area, and they’re allowed out into the other part of the yard during the day. I’m not sure if there’s anything I can do about it, but any suggestions would be appreciated! I don’t want my babies laying in mud all the time.
:welcome That's just Ducks being Ducks. :D I keep moving ours into a different area of the yard to give the old area time to recover. I will broadcast wheat seed and bird seed on all the bare areas of ground because it will germinate quickly and grow, the Ducks love the new lush green vegetation. Then I will start the whole process over on the other piece of ground. :)

Back
Top Bottom