How do you know your chickens are healthy?

I
Well I'm just wondering, say for instance wild birds, are the ones that appear healthy really just asymptomatic? Then you think about herd immunity and wonder what's more likely, or even what's better. The immunity of a landrace or the possibility of untouched chickens
I Think the only way to help minimize issues is biosecurity. Things happens, and not everything is foolproof, but the better biosecurity the safer they are. But then there are issues that present that have no baring on vaccines or wild birds.

I

I Think the only way to help minimize issues is biosecurity. Things happens, and not everything is foolproof, but the better biosecurity the safer they are. But then there are issues that present that have no baring on vaccines or wild birds.
Very true. And then I wonder if vaccinations are counterproductive if they don't actually prevent them from getting it. Seems a herd immunity of sorts would be easier achieved without them...

I think I'll stick with the no vaccinations. I'd rather know they have it for one, and I guess let the ones go that are more fragile.

I know what you mean. I add apple cider vinegar to the water every few water changes & I use aquasol in the water once or twice a year to ensure they are wormed. Especially if you see dirty bums.
I love Bragg's! Also the Nzymes products! Awesome holistic products for immune strength and development! Haven't heard of aquasol I'll have to check that out!

I know! But then you worry about selling fertile eggs or chicks. My first six I got from a hatchery so I imagine they were vaccinated. The rest I hatched myself or got from a farm a county over. She hatches her own but has gotten several specific breeds by having eggs mailed. This leaves endless possibilities. Seems no way to guarantee your chickens are healthy unless you have them all tested and keep them in separate bubbles immediately afterwards so that if the results are good they'll stay that way. 😵

There are a few diseases that can be transmitted through hatching eggs, but most of the chicken diseases cannot be. So eggs are a bit safer than chicks, and especially safer than older chickens (that have had more time to catch things.)

Too bad there isn't a practical way for small flock owners to test all regularly.
You might look into the NPIP (National Poultry Improvement Plan).
https://www.aphis.usda.gov/aphis/ou...ide/poultry/national-poultry-improvement-plan

That does involve some regular testing for certain diseases (not all diseases, but some.) From what I've read, it seems to be administered at the state level, so it might be a bit different in some states than others. Any time you see people talking about NPIP status, or having an NPIP number, that is what they are referring to. At least some states require it if you want to ship eggs or chicks across state lines (I'm not clear on whether just some states require that, or all of them.)

A number of people on this forum have their flocks NPIP certified, even with small flocks, so that is definitely possible.

I've read that the program was originally set up to deal with some very nasty poultry diseases, that we pretty much never see now (so presumably it did what it was supposed to there.)

@Somshine -what exactly are you worried about? Specifically? And, what illness is present in the eggs?
Well nothing presently. Just reading about all of these diseases and what deadly, ridiculously contagious creepers they can be. So far I've hatched chickens to keep but if I were to sell fertile eggs or chicks (or even thin a few young layers) I would want to know I wasnt risking other people's flocks. There just doesn't seem to be a way to assure that unless you've got a lot of time and money.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom