How do you sell eggs?

Somshine

Songster
Aug 14, 2022
So I'm curious. I sell eggs to my clients here and there on the side. It's never been a whole lot though due to the amount of hens that I have. But I hatched out some new ones and I will be getting a lot more eggs when they start laying. I do have roosters so the eggs would most likely be fertilized. When I collect them I put them straight in an egg carton that day and stick them in the fridge and label it. I don't wash them unless it's been raining I'll use a little wet cloth to buff some dirt off. If you are selling eggs to people at what point do you toss them after they've been sitting in the fridge? I know they're still good after 2 weeks in there but is there some rule about how fresh people want them when they're getting farm fresh eggs?

We sell our eggs at the farmers market and have sold up to three week old eggs… Ours have been proven to stay in the fridge unwashed for up to three months and still come out of the egg shell fresh as the day it was laid.

We sell our eggs at the farmers market and have sold up to three week old eggs… Ours have been proven to stay in the fridge unwashed for up to three months and still come out of the egg shell fresh as the day it was laid.
Oh I absolutely know they can last for quite some time unwashed! Heck the ones at the grocery store are usually a couple weeks old before they hit the shelves. But I wasn't really sure if there's some rule unknown to me how freshly laid they should be when you're selling your own eggs. Like what people expect, or the standards the people who sell them have set. Don't want to be selling eggs from last week not knowing everyone's like when you sell your own backyard eggs standard should be no more than 3 days 🤣 I am just not going to have them flying off my shelves that fast because I don't advertise or take them to Farmers markets. For that same reason I wasn't sure if they was a standard I didn't know about either. I sort of feel like once they hit two weeks I should do something else with them?

I sell mine within a week of collection of the last egg, which generally makes the oldest egg in the bunch to be about a week old. I won’t sell eggs older than two weeks (usually).
Then they can last at least two weeks in someone’s fridge.
Hope that helps! I don’t advertise either, just sell to some of the ladies at church.

I sell mine within a week of collection of the last egg, which generally makes the oldest egg in the bunch to be about a week old. I won’t sell eggs older than two weeks (usually).
Then they can last at least two weeks in someone’s fridge.
Hope that helps! I don’t advertise either, just sell to some of the ladies at church.
Definitely helps! We will be coming up on more volume in the next few months so just wanted some varied input on my operation. Seems since I started my project a year and a half ago now that I'm almost there I'm seeing fresh eggs signs popping up a good bit around me 🤦🏼‍♀️ not even sure how many eggs you've got to be getting a day to put a sign up 🤣 they weren't really there when I started increasing my numbers last spring so I thought I would just sell what I had to the people asking personally, as I have a home business and clients come to my home. Now I'm not sure where to go with it. Do I have too many to count on that? Will I have enough to put a sign up? Starting to feel like a Pandora's box. What do you do when production goes up and down in heat and cold?

Last edited:
I don’t know what I’ll do in winter, I just started selling a few months ago. I don’t have a sign or anything, it’s all just word of mouth :).
When I started selling, I just started asking fellow choir members, and they told their friends, and then a lady got me in touch with a charity that runs a soup kitchen of sorts.

I don’t know what I’ll do in winter, I just started selling a few months ago. I don’t have a sign or anything, it’s all just word of mouth :).
When I started selling, I just started asking fellow choir members, and they told their friends, and then a lady got me in touch with a charity that runs a soup kitchen of sorts.
Do you put expiration dates on them? If so, how does that work? I haven't yet, I just code when they're laid.

Oh I absolutely know they can last for quite some time unwashed! Heck the ones at the grocery store are usually a couple weeks old before they hit the shelves. But I wasn't really sure if there's some rule unknown to me how freshly laid they should be when you're selling your own eggs. Like what people expect, or the standards the people who sell them have set. Don't want to be selling eggs from last week not knowing everyone's like when you sell your own backyard eggs standard should be no more than 3 days 🤣 I am just not going to have them flying off my shelves that fast because I don't advertise or take them to Farmers markets. For that same reason I wasn't sure if they was a standard I didn't know about either. I sort of feel like once they hit two weeks I should do something else with them?
The average egg carton in the store is already 8 - 9 weeks old…pretty sure 2 weeks old is fresher than that😬

Do you put expiration dates on them? If so, how does that work? I haven't yet, I just code when they're laid.
Yes, I count down the calendar, anywhere from 2 to 4 weeks out, 4 weeks out, depending on the age of the oldest egg in the carton. So if the oldest egg was laid July 1, the eggs would expire July 29.
I don't mark when they're laid because they're laid different days.

My carton of eggs in the fridge was boxed in early June and has a last date of sale of August 4th, so 8 weeks.

(Yes, I buy eggs. I suck at chicken math)

Back
Top Bottom