How long from pip to hatch? Should I worry?

Cla55y

In the Brooder
Apr 25, 2018
Hi all! I have 4 duck eggs in an incubator, and we are on day 28! over 24 hours ago, I noticed a couple VERY small external pips (more like bubbles, shell didn't fall away). I haven't heard any peeping or seen movement since, but I've read that ducks can take longer to hatch than chickens. I've read through the assisted hatching article numerous times, but since it's my first time I'm super scared to try anything, and even lost a chick because I didn't intervene in time.
My question is, when should I start to worry, and perhaps intervene? There's only 2 of the 4 with pips.

I just heard peeping!! Someone's still alive in there! Although at this point that could even be the ones that have no external pip. Lol

They have made some progress on zipping (very little) but one is now peeping very loudly as if distressed... I had to open the Bator to add cloths to up humidity but it was a second or two only. Could I have endangered them?

How's the hatching going?
Thanks for asking!
I have one little guy out, and another who died at some point during the unzipping process. Not sure what happened, except that it looked like his leg was over his head, so maybe mal positioned?
The other two still haven't pipped yet. They were all moving and viable at day 23 candling. Is there any way I can check to see if they are still alive in there? Or how long is too long overdue? We're only day 29 now.

Thanks for asking!
I have one little guy out, and another who died at some point during the unzipping process. Not sure what happened, except that it looked like his leg was over his head, so maybe mal positioned?
The other two still haven't pipped yet. They were all moving and viable at day 23 candling. Is there any way I can check to see if they are still alive in there? Or how long is too long overdue? We're only day 29 now.
You can Candle them to see if they have internally pipped..
The all hatch upside down with their leg behind their heads..

Back
Top Bottom