How many chickens should I keep

Pics
View attachment 3772002

A visual for you. This coop (pic taken during repaint and sprucing up) is sized for 24 birds. It measures 8x14 so is 112 square feet. I have internal nest boxes so subtracted that square footage to determine my max occupancy.

If I read the first post right your run is 70 square feet....that is big enough for 7 birds.
That coup is nice!! Holy cow.

It really depends on where you live, everywhere has different laws so its always a good idea to look up the animal ordinances where you live.

Where we lived when we first got chickens the city allowed them by exclusion. Meaning chickens were allowed by virtue of the fact that there was no law against them within city limits. That's how it works in most rural areas too, the county or township doesn't prohibit chickens so people who live out in the country are allowed to keep them as long as they aren't violating any welfare laws that may be in place.

Where I live now, we just got the city to change the animal ordinance from specifically prohibiting chickens to specifically allowing them with restrictions on coop size and location as well as number of birds and what can be done with them. The new ordinance specifies they are "for personal use" meaning technically we can't sell meat or eggs from our chickens (which is why anyone who pys us for eggs is making a donation to our feed fund, not buying eggs). Our law also specifies that the chickens can't be free ranged, they can only legally be out of the run/coop if the yard has a 4ft fence and they are being supervised.

When the city was considering the new ordinance they looked at a bunch of other cities chicken laws. Some required registration, licensing, or permits, some required neighbors give permission, etc.
Apparently the laws on this side of the county are different than in the city. I’m way out of city limits. In the city they don’t let anyone keep chickens.

Outside the city the only law mentioned is how chickens should be kept secure on the property and not impede traffic etc… I guess I didn’t think to look because one of my neighbors has like 50 chickens that are always on my driveway 😂

I want to gently remind you that CAPITALIZING words and choosing to type your words condescendingly is not cute. It is obvious that I have already received countless tips in a RESPECTFUL way, and in all fairness, your input was both repetitive and unnecessary.

BYC is supposed to be both fun and informative. It is not a space to exercise keyboard warrior behavior.
I don't see any capitalization, nor condescending, in Mrs K's post.
So who the "keyboard warrior"?

I don't see any capitalization, nor condescending, in Mrs K's post.
So who the "keyboard warrior"?
“ NOW” go back and read those two sentences again.

“With birds, the number needs to fit the space you have NOW. If you want more birds than that - build first, and then add in more birds. Keeping too many birds in too small of space with the idea that they will wait for you to build later is a recipe for miserable and unhappy birds.”

Condescending Defintion:” having or showing a feeling of patronizing superiority.”

Patronizing Defintion: “apparently kind or helpful but betraying a feeling of superiority

It is part of my job to understand the meaning of words . I am the opposite of a keyboard warrior. I was just pointing out the fact that Mrs. K sounded like she was coming off this way.. when that’s not the purpose of this forum.

😂 Yes! We started out with 10 that were supposed to be sexed pullets. Then, I saw two Amerecauna at the farmers market I had to have.

One of them turned out to be a rooster - as did 9 of the sexed pullets. We weren't set up for roos so had to find a home fast.

We also ordered 5 cream legbars. We planned on a rooster for that one. We didn't know about breeders giving extra chicks. But before they got here, David bought 5 at tractor supply. When we went to the breeder to get the ones we ordered, he gave us extra and I didn't even realize it until I counted all the chickens a month later!

David wanted Australorps and the hatchery had a minimum. Then they sent us extra. We built a other coop.

We had planned for Marans and Bielefelders - and of course we're given extra - and David bought hatching eggs. And then we had a hen go broody

Now, we need to reduce our flock size again. We aren't over crowded (we have room for 60) - but of course, most of the "free" chicks turned out to be Roos! As well as 2 from the hatching eggs - and not sure of the sex on the broody babies yet.

It seems to always be a work in progress deciding to build more or not.

Somebody on here has a tagline I love " chicken math is more than addition. It also includes division and subtraction".
I love that!! I’m going to be using that on my TikTok page😭🤣 I need to figure out who to give credit to if I do 😅

Back
Top Bottom