How many Guinea Fowl per acre??

canaan

In the Brooder
11 Years
Jan 19, 2009
hi all - started out with adding 6 guinea hens last spring to our regular flock for added tick control, etc... we have many acres, however we are naturally more concerned with the acreage closest to our house; with children, cats and dogs about.

so, with our latest 'casualty' this morning, we are now down to 2. will want to add more this year, so as to be effective, but what is a good ratio per acre?

they are really used to the area and never wandered extremely far like one would think - probably stayed in and around a 2 acre plot.

often times they would slip in to the main coop at night, but obviously there have been many nights when they were sleeping out on the roof!

thanks for your input.

We have 16 on 16 ares (total coincidence LOL). I would love to have double that or really triple that. While they always come back to the same tree near the house to roost every night, they do roam the pens and pastures. We just can't find guinea keets around here to buy.

I have seen them quite a ways a way this winter when it was slim pickins for bugs and such, but I can always hear them and know where they're at
roll.png
lol.png

We have 32 guineas. They aren't confined, but usually stay within a 600ft radius of the barn where they roost at night.

I think with the guineas the more the better if they are free ranging. Our range as two packs most of the time, and with a dozen in a pack they will back down strange dogs, ect. In a small pack they are easy to catch and pick off.

We've had ours for 2 years now, and have only lost a couple. A pack that big can get really loud, but that's how they protect themselves.

Although, I like reading this. I come from the other view point, as a neighbor, we live in a residential area and his genie hens are in my yard every morning and wake me up. How do I get my neighbor to keep them in their yard. They are extremely noisey. I am at my wits end. We have hawks in the area, should I let MOTHER NATURE TAKE ITS COURSE. Thank you, Cynthia

Although, I like reading this. I come from the other view point, as a neighbor, we live in a residential area and his guinea hens are in my yard every morning and wake me up. How do I get my neighbor to keep them in their yard. They are extremely noisy. I am at my wits end. We have hawks in the area, should I let MOTHER NATURE TAKE ITS COURSE. Thank you, Cynthia
This thread is from 2009 and has nothing to do with your concerns. You should start your own thread about your concerns.

The latest any of these members were active on BYC was in 2015.

Back
Top Bottom