How Many?

Cheerio27

In the Brooder
Mar 23, 2024
New England
How many chickens do you think could sleep comfortably in something this size if they free range during the day? 5”x3”x7” roughly.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/5-05-ft...door-15-25-sq-ft-S000190517/330957848#overlay

I currently have a small pre fab coop for six chickens and I would like to upsize to 8 or 10 chickens on a budget with limited construction skills. I’m currently thinking of modifying a small shed, but I’m open to other suggestions as well!
Thanks!

How many chickens do you think could sleep comfortably in something this size if they free range during the day? 5”x3”x7” roughly.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/5-05-ft...door-15-25-sq-ft-S000190517/330957848#overlay

I currently have a small pre fab coop for six chickens and I would like to upsize to 8 or 10 chickens on a budget with limited construction skills. I’m currently thinking of modifying a small shed, but I’m open to other suggestions as well!
Thanks!
That is 15 square feet, which isn't big enough for your six even. They need 4 square feet per bird, more if they get locked in for weeks at a time due to weather. Overcrowding causes pecking and bullying issues.

Can you find a used shed perhaps on Marketplace?

In your climate you'll probably need to coop them in winter during bad weather....so free ranging does not allow for a smaller coop.
Do you plan on building a predator and weather proof run too?

In your climate you'll probably need to coop them in winter during bad weather....so free ranging does not allow for a smaller coop.
Do you plan on building a predator and weather proof run too?
Yeah, on further research, I need to rethink some things, and the run is one of them, along with a bigger shed.

That is 15 square feet, which isn't big enough for your six even. They need 4 square feet per bird, more if they get locked in for weeks at a time due to weather. Overcrowding causes pecking and bullying issues.

Can you find a used shed perhaps on Marketplace?
I will try that. Not having a truck, I worry about moving it so I was looking at new ones that could be delivered first. It seems like the size I need will be out of our price range new, though.

Back
Top Bottom