How much cbd oil and st johns wort

Fluffypeckers

Chirping
Oct 7, 2019
Hi!
My silkie is sick. I posted about it couple days ago and that time i thought she was weak because the others were attacking her after she lost her friend. Now I'm thinking about Marek's disease because she lost her ability to walk and couldn't use her wings. She won't eat or drink. I've heard that st johns wort can cure mareks and I've heard some people use cbd oil too. I'd like to know how much cbd oil and st johns wort liquid i should give to my poor girl? If you know please let me know!!

I use cbd oil on my dog for seizures. She gets 15 drops a day, but hers is medical with thc in it to control her seizures.

I'm not sure on the dose with chickens, but I assume it would be 2 or 3 drops since they're not too large in size...

Does the CBD oil have thc in it? If it's without thc you can do about 5 drop to 10 drops. Start with the lowest amount and work your way up if it doesn't have thc.

From what I know nothing cures Marek and there's no treatments. Keep us updated on what you find out. Post links to people who say these help so we can read up on it.

I use cbd oil on my dog for seizures. She gets 15 drops a day, but hers is medical with thc in it to control her seizures.

I'm not sure on the dose with chickens, but I assume it would be 2 or 3 drops since they're not too large in size...

Does the CBD oil have thc in it? If it's without thc you can do about 5 drop to 10 drops. Start with the lowest amount and work your way up if it doesn't have thc.

From what I know nothing cures Marek and there's no treatments. Keep us updated on what you find out. Post links to people who say these help so we can read up on it.
The cbd oil is without thc.. I'll give her 5 drops for now. I'll also give her some st johns wort i read that it should be tablets but i only found liquid.. That's why i'm not sure about the dose..

I'm not sure if my silkie has Marek's but all the symptoms are the same.. i can't even take her to the vet because they don't know much about chickens here.. I hope she gets better after this.. I'll post some links later and keep you updated.

The cbd oil is without thc.. I'll give her 5 drops for now. I'll also give her some st johns wort i read that it should be tablets but i only found liquid.. That's why i'm not sure about the dose..

I'm not sure if my silkie has Marek's but all the symptoms are the same.. i can't even take her to the vet because they don't know much about chickens here.. I hope she gets better after this.. I'll post some links later and keep you updated.
Hoping she recovers! I don't have vets were I live that do chickens either so I'm pretty much left with advice from others and research.

If you speak with a knowledgeable vet you should be able to get a safe mg of CBD per lb of weight of the animal dosage. I'm sorry but I do not recall what it is. Not all CBD products are the same potency, but like other medications, dosage would be by weight.

To my understanding, CBD oil is very new in the market for animal care. Therefore, limited research. Chickens are fickle creatures. It takes. very little to kill them with something that shouldn't do harm. Even anesthesia is a major risk. Personally, I wouldn't use CBD oil on a chicken. What's the goal, anyway? CBD isn't going to cure Marek's or bring back the function of her legs.
Marek's is a virus and cannot be cured. The leg issue is paralysis as a result of nerve damage. Also won't be cured by CBD.

While st. John's Wort does have antiviral properties, there is no research supporting that it can cure Marek's. I doubt it does, or someone would have made billions by now.

I should add that I have never used CBD on a chicken myself and I have only used it under direct supervision from my vet.

Living in Colorado I see CBD touted as a cure-all, it is our modern day snake oil. There are some conditions with some studies it is shown to help with, and many conditions with little to know studies that we just don't know about.

I'm not really sure if it can help with Marek's and it also sounds as if you do not have any testing yet to confirm Marek's in your flock.

I know it is easy for us to focus on a symptomatic bird, but you may need to shift your focus a little to try and figure out exactly what is wrong with your silkie in case it is something contagious and the rest of your flock is in jeopardy.

I worked as a vet tech and I can tell you that there is no 100% dose for any animal, it's all guess work. There is so little research on CBD and what it can do. I do know it's helped numerous people especially those going through chemo.

There are different mg's for CBD and a lot of the CBD that you find at stores or online are not good. Medical CBD is different than the CBD that you find online or in regular stores.

When my dog got diagnosed with idiopathic epilepsy we were given a guesstimate by the vet. As her symptoms got worse or did not get better we had to increase the mg CBD that we used.

If the CBD oil does not have THC, you can literally drink the whole bottle in it won't cause any ill effects. If it has THC that's where you need to start off small and then increase. The THC is what causes a high, but is the most effective with neurological issues and diseases.

Last edited:
I worked as a vet tech and I can tell you that there is no 100% dose for any animal, it's all guess work. There is so little research on CBD and what it can do. I do know it's helped numerous people especially those going through chemo.

There are different mg's for CBD and a lot of the CBD that you find at stores or online are not good. Medical CBD is different than the CBD that you find online or in regular stores.

When my dog got diagnosed with idiopathic epilepsy we were given a guesstimate by the vet. As her symptoms got worse or did not get better we had to increase the mg CBD that we used.

If the CBD oil does not have THC, you can literally drink the whole bottle in it won't cause any ill effects. If it has THC that's where you need to start off small and then increase. The THC is what causes a high, but is the most effective with neurological issues and diseases.
Thank you for your reply! I gave my silkie some st. Johns worth and she's little bit better now. She can stand and move her wings but still won't eat.
I'm little bit scared to give her cbd oil because i don't know much about it.. i wish there was a vet i could take her to so i would know what to do..

Thank you for your reply! I gave my silkie some st. Johns worth and she's little bit better now. She can stand and move her wings but still won't eat.
I'm little bit scared to give her cbd oil because i don't know much about it.. i wish there was a vet i could take her to so i would know what to do..
Where are you located? I could probably find one for you.

Back
Top Bottom