How much sulfadimethoxine for 4 pullets?

katanne555

In the Brooder
6 Years
Oct 29, 2013
Maine
Hello, I have bought some sulfadimethoxine soluble powder for 4 pullets. It says on the package to put the contents into 50 gallons of water. I have a 1 gallon waterer. I did some math and found out that I would put in 0.45 teaspoons per gallon. Would the dosage be less though, because my chickens aren't fully grown? Any help would be much appreciated, thank you.

The dosage for sulfadimethoxine is 1 teaspoonful per gallon of water for 6 days. You can mix a smaller amount 1/4 tsp in 1 quart. The dosage is the same since younger birds will drink less. I had earlier figured 1/2 tsp, but since there is a difference in the weight of powders I was wrong. The Durvet website gives the correct dosage as 1 tsp. I will look for that link, just saw it yesterday.

Last edited:
There has been a lot of confusion in the past over the dosage of sulfadimethoxine, since the packets never have the information for mixing a gallon of solution at a time. Some older posts on BYC say 1/8 or 1/4 tsp per gallon, 1/2 tsp per gallon (which is what I calculated,) and yesterday I find a link where the person called Durvet and got 1 tsp as the amount, plus I find a link from Durvet. I cannot find the link yet, and since it is not on their regular site, I will keep looking.

McMurray Hatchery lists dosage on site for Sulfadimethoxine,click on image of product for dosage information.

Dose for Severe - 2 tsp per 1 1/2 gallons water, Normal - 1 tsp per 1 1/2 gallons water,Preventative - 1/2 tsp per 1 1/2 gallons water.

Directions on website are different than on package of product,i have given dose info that is printed on package.

Last edited:
YES! YES! YES! I saw it yesterday and I know I spent an hour looking for that today. I like your "spirit" Kathy. Thanks.

Kim
You're welcome! I found it by doing a google search for "durvet pdf". I think this time I'll bookmark it, lol.

-Kathy

Back
Top Bottom