How much water to give dehydrated hen?

Mar 26, 2020
Frederick, MD
I have a hen who stopped drinking. She’s eating off and on and has had a little bit of wet feed. Her urates are very yellow and she’s gone at least 24 hours without drinking water. (I did give her 1 cc of Poultry cell yesterday, which could possibly contribute to the yellow urate assuming hens process and eliminate vitamins the same way humans do).

I’d like to start giving her water today. How much should I give her and how frequently? Would it be effective to tube feed her larger quantities of water in less frequent doses as opposed to syringing? The anxious over thinker in me would LOVE a specific measurement. She’s a 3 lb. adult hen.

I’d really prefer to focus on how to best rehydrate her- not necessarily about her overall condition. But here’s a little background on her situation: She’s 13 months old and probably struggles with a thiamine deficiency. When she’s stressed, she stargazes. She finds any oral administration of anything to be stressful. This is why I’d prefer to give her water less frequently- to minimize the stress.

This is my special baby Peanut Butter. I’ve posted on here about her since she was a chick.
IMG_9946.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom