How Necessary is a Ramp? Any Alternatives?

I have a raised coop and currently have ramps up to the pop doors. My birds don't even use the full length, they just hop up halfway from the side or fly out when they leave, so it seems like a bit of wasted space in my narrow runs. I removed the ramp entirely once, but then they didn't know what to do. I think the pop opening is too small for them to comfortably fly into.

I know I've seen other ideas here... I just can't find them now.
Pictures would be much appreciated!
I needed a step to get up into my coop for some reason i dismember.
I had a plastic single step step stool I planned to dispose of that I used. After I left it in the coop overnight, to finish up the next day, I noticed the chickens used it as well as the ramp.
So I left it in place of the ramp.
I would not worry about the size of pop door unless it is unusually small and the birds are abnormally large.
I have 12" X12" X12" nesting boxes and all my birds leap from the roost instead of climbing the ramp.
Yes my nest boxes are too high.
I hope and pray I can find the time to relocate them before my extra large Brahmas start laying.

We had a girl break her leg last fall. She was hobbling by the coop and we couldn't figure it out. Maybe she slid off the ramp and landed wrong. This thread has me leaning towards steps/landing when we renovate this summer.

One nice thing with cinder blocks, if you end up going that route, is they're very slip proof due to the rough surface, even in steady rain (though they can be slippery if there's ice build up). I would imagine wood stumps would be less slippery than ramps or plank type steps as well, as the surface cuts across the grain of the wood, not with it. Either option should be easy to source and install.

IMG_20180607_194552.jpg
I have a landing pad and they seem to do just fine. There are two large flat rocks in the connecting tunnel between the coop and the run. I also had an Omlet and they used a ladder with that.

If you plan on keeping your birds through their senior retirement age, you might need to plan for short steps and ramps. I've got one almost 7 years old, and she started sleeping on the floor of the coop because she could no longer jump up to the roost. Until a few months ago, she was still laying 2 - 3 eggs a week, and she would lay them in the corner because she couldn't jump into the nest box.

Then she started sleeping below in the run or at the top of the ramp because she couldn't do the small jump to get back out. I put in some cinder block steps, and she's back to sleeping in the corner inside the coop.

(You can see more photos of my setup in my profile)

Attachments

• IMG_2250.jpg
    IMG_2250.jpg
    414.7 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
I also have a raised coop (about 34" above ground) i use a ramp with a landing midway that then turns under the coop. This prevents a long ramp jutting out into the yard and creating a trip hazard or another obstacle to mow around. It doesn't have to be a continuous ramp. Just anything in succession and stable enough for them to feel comfortable using.

I have a raised coop and currently have ramps up to the pop doors. My birds don't even use the full length, they just hop up halfway from the side or fly out when they leave, so it seems like a bit of wasted space in my narrow runs. I removed the ramp entirely once, but then they didn't know what to do. I think the pop opening is too small for them to comfortably fly into.

I’ve always used strps

It may not be necessary for big chickens because they can fly good. I have silkies and they don't fly well so the ladder is necessary for them and they use it up and down. Occasionally I see one fly down.

I needed a step to get up into my coop for some reason i dismember.
I had a plastic single step step stool I planned to dispose of that I used. After I left it in the coop overnight, to finish up the next day, I noticed the chickens used it as well as the ramp.
So I left it in place of the ramp.
I would not worry about the size of pop door unless it is unusually small and the birds are abnormally large.
I have 12" X12" X12" nesting boxes and all my birds leap from the roost instead of climbing the ramp.
Yes my nest boxes are too high.
I hope and pray I can find the time to relocate them before my extra large Brahmas start laying.
My Brahma gets into a nest box about two feet of the ground... we put two slats of wood across tge front add a perch. It makes it easier for them to have a landing place before going into the box.

I have , just one block, works well. But,now have ducks, can ducks just hop from one stepping stone to another?? First time withducks!! Trying to figure out the new duck additions.

Back
Top Bottom