How often do your chickens die? Aka - am I just unlucky?

Pics
Mar 5, 2023
France
Hi!

I'm not sure if this should be in flock management or disease and injuries but it's a general question not a specific case, so I'm putting it here.

I've had chickens for two years and started as a complete beginner. I have 13 hens and one roo, started with four but expanded pretty quickly.

In those two years, I feel like a lot of them died. I don't know if it's normal, or if I'm unlucky or mismanaging them!

One died very young and very suddenly of coccidiosis

One was taken by a buzzard - after which we built them a fortress.

One was taken by a fox - after which we fenced and electrified the whole yard.

They got sick with a very bad respiratory virus but everyone made it through.

Then a rooster died overnight

One had a prolapse and later became egg bound, but she's still with us 7 months later.

Two died of mysterious primarily gastric diseases but not cocci - we could probably have saved at least one if we'd gone to the vet sooner.

One got sick with a bacterial infection but made it and is doing great.

One lays only soft eggs and has done so for four months (!). She is also under treatment for bumble foot.

And tonight we took Penelope to the emergency vet after a very rapid decline, and found out she has a massive inflammation of all her internal organs and will most likely not make it. She also laid a fragile egg a few days ago and strained to lay today but nothing came - but it looks like the shell is broken inside her (the vet said this was not the source of the problem and the least of her worries now)

This is all so heartbreaking!

But is this what it's like? Do they die this often? What am I doing wrong?

That's 6 dead out of 19 who have passed through, with one more on the brink and the more who have had serious medical issues. That's more than 30% dead, and more than 50% sick or injured.

I'm a bit worried a lot of it is connected, and that the bad respiratory illness was infectious bronchitis that is still around wreaking havoc - like the sudden illnesses, the problems with laying, and now Penny's collapse.

What say you, are your chickens dying at this rate?

Also, love and prayers for Penelope who stayed in intensive care over night.

Hi!

I'm not sure if this should be in flock management or disease and injuries but it's a general question not a specific case, so I'm putting it here.

I've had chickens for two years and started as a complete beginner. I have 13 hens and one roo, started with four but expanded pretty quickly.

In those two years, I feel like a lot of them died. I don't know if it's normal, or if I'm unlucky or mismanaging them!

One died very young and very suddenly of coccidiosis

One was taken by a buzzard - after which we built them a fortress.

One was taken by a fox - after which we fenced and electrified the whole yard.

They got sick with a very bad respiratory virus but everyone made it through.

Then a rooster died overnight

One had a prolapse and later became egg bound, but she's still with us 7 months later.

Two died of mysterious primarily gastric diseases but not cocci - we could probably have saved at least one if we'd gone to the vet sooner.

One got sick with a bacterial infection but made it and is doing great.

One lays only soft eggs and has done so for four months (!). She is also under treatment for bumble foot.

And tonight we took Penelope to the emergency vet after a very rapid decline, and found out she has a massive inflammation of all her internal organs and will most likely not make it. She also laid a fragile egg a few days ago and strained to lay today but nothing came - but it looks like the shell is broken inside her (the vet said this was not the source of the problem and the least of her worries now)

This is all so heartbreaking!

But is this what it's like? Do they die this often? What am I doing wrong?

That's 6 dead out of 19 who have passed through, with one more on the brink and the more who have had serious medical issues. That's more than 30% dead, and more than 50% sick or injured.

I'm a bit worried a lot of it is connected, and that the bad respiratory illness was infectious bronchitis that is still around wreaking havoc - like the sudden illnesses, the problems with laying, and now Penny's collapse.

What say you, are your chickens dying at this rate?

Also, love and prayers for Penelope who stayed in intensive care over night.
Hello Does your coop have a floor covered in manure and poor ventilation? Do you feed them purina?

Hello Does your coop have a floor covered in manure and poor ventilation? Do you feed them purina?
Hi!

No they have huge windows and lots of headroom in the coop, and I clean several times a week. Their enclosure is dirt and grass, but most of the time they free-range in a large area with grass and bushes.

I don't feed them Purina. What is it?

I think it's one part inexperience and going through the learning process, another part might be nutrition related and the rest is just plain bad luck. The soft shelled egg issues might be diet related, do they have access to oyster shell? Some pictures of your setup would be good to see if we can see if there's anything that could be improved upon. But honestly sometimes you just have a period of bad luck. All you can do in such circumstances is your best

What breeds are they? How much calcium do you give them? Within the past two years, I've lost five hens. Two were unexpected, one was heart failure, another was something I'm assuming was an egg production issue, and another was similar but feathers were a problem. (On the last two I think it was poor genetics.) I've had issues with specific breeds in the past where almost all of one specific breed would die, but the other breeds were fine. Did you get these chickens as chicks or adults? Where did you get them? (I don't know French hatcheries and such, but do you know if they were breeding quality?)

I think it's one part inexperience and going through the learning process, another part might be nutrition related and the rest is just plain bad luck. The soft shelled egg issues might be diet related, do they have access to oyster shell? Some pictures of your setup would be good to see if we can see if there's anything that could be improved upon. But honestly sometimes you just have a period of bad luck. All you can do in such circumstances is your best
Hi!

And thank you for the encouragement. They have access to oyster shell separately from their food, and we've also been putting calcium and D3 in their water regularly.

I don't have great pictures of their setup. I can take some tomorrow. This is them back in February.

1000029210.jpg

And here they are hanging out under their coop

1000026120.jpg

Attachments

• 1000026120.jpg
    1000026120.jpg
    620.3 KB · Views: 6
What breeds are they? How much calcium do you give them? Within the past two years, I've lost five hens. Two were unexpected, one was heart failure, another was something I'm assuming was an egg production issue, and another was similar but feathers were a problem. (On the last two I think it was poor genetics.) I've had issues with specific breeds in the past where almost all of one specific breed would die, but the other breeds were fine. Did you get these chickens as chicks or adults? Where did you get them? (I don't know French hatcheries and such, but do you know if they were breeding quality?)
Hi!

I've got a mix - Brahma (one dead, one recovered), Faverolles (recovered from illness, egg binding and prolapse!), Araucana (one sick now), Azur, Noirans (egg problems), Silkies (two dead of illness), Appenzeller (one dead over night), Gaulois, Polish.

The Noirans with the egg trouble, one silkie who died, and the Araucana who is in hospital are all from a farm store so night be what you call hatchery chicks. I got them when they were 4 months old. Some of the others are from another but smaller place, the rest from home breeders and some I got as babies but most were older / at point of last. So yes, might be something with the source and breeding I guess.

I give them calcium as it says on the bottle, probably every two weeks for a week in the water. It's my husband job so I don't have the numbers in my head. After seeing the vet today we will increase a bit.

Thanks for giving me your numbers. I feel a little better although I'm sorry for your losses too 😞

Hmm, if you're already giving them calcium citrate and d3, the soft shelled egg issues might very well be due to bad genetics. Not terribly much you can do about that aside from what you're already doing. What feed are they eating though? I am unfamiliar with what feeds are available in France, but having a general idea of the nutrition you're working with is still useful

Back
Top Bottom