How often do your chickens die? Aka - am I just unlucky?

Hi!

And thank you for the encouragement. They have access to oyster shell separately from their food, and we've also been putting calcium and D3 in their water regularly.

I don't have great pictures of their setup. I can take some tomorrow. This is them back in February.

View attachment 3876948

And here they are hanging out under their coop

View attachment 3876950
Hello Very nice and sanitary! What feed to you use?

@Kenya Mwangi and @FrostRanger they eat a mix of buckwheat, wheat, crushed peas, linseed and pellets/layer feed with crushed shell in the mix as well as on the side. Plus lots of greens, some berries and fruit and slugs and bugs that they forage, and mealworms when we need to get them to do stuff.

Did you quarantine before adding new birds?

I think the most I've lost to illness in one year was 3 (all appeared to be reproduction problems). I don't believe I've lost that many in one year since and I've raised chickens for 15 years. Predator losses are normal and expected with free range chickens.

Did you quarantine before adding new birds?

I think the most I've lost to illness in one year was 3 (all appeared to be reproduction problems). I don't believe I've lost that many in one year since and I've raised chickens for 15 years. Predator losses are normal and expected with free range chickens.
Yep, two weeks but they could see each other, just separated by a wire fence.

Three in a year is what I've lost. It's nasty that we bred them to lay so much that their reproductive system breaks. I feel for them poor girls 💔

@Kenya Mwangi and @FrostRanger they eat a mix of buckwheat, wheat, crushed peas, linseed and pellets/layer feed with crushed shell in the mix as well as on the side. Plus lots of greens, some berries and fruit and slugs and bugs that they forage, and mealworms when we need to get them to do stuff.
Hello My opinion is bad luck and too much energy and not enough protein. You seem to be doing everything very well.

So not a strict quarantine. Did you notice more illness after introducing the new birds?

True.
Hmmm... Last three to be sick/die are some of the never additions. They came a year ago. Four months after they arrived one of the slightly older girls got sick and died. Then two months after that, one of the new ones died. And one month after that, there was some gastric issues and one girl got sick enough to go on antibiotics. Got two more in February this year, then in March one of the lot from a year ago started laying shell less eggs at night.

So... Tricky to know but... Maybe? Pretty long incubation times though.

One theory I have is wild birds. I live in the mountains surrounded by nature and wildlife of all kinds. Maybe they bring stuff?

Back
Top Bottom