How to Break a Broody Hen

They key to a quick break is to put the hen in the cage and leave her, don't let her out until she's broke. At three days open the cage, if she makes broody clucking noises close the door and check at day five. Letting them out can prolong the process.

Does this work if it is in the coop with the other hens? I have an 8x8 coop with a good spot for a raised dog cage, but I don't have a place cool enough outside for it (it is nearly 100 here today).

It should, but watch that she's not getting too warm, though she should be cooler than sitting in the nestboxes.

It should, but watch that she's not getting too warm, though she should be cooler than sitting in the nestboxes.
The coop has very large windows, and the cage will be in line with the windows. It is actually more comfortable than it is in the yard in there. I've been surprised how comfortable it is. that is a good thought though.

Other hens may need a different treatment. The best way I know to break a determined broody hen is to confine her to a wire-bottomed cage, like a rabbit or parrot cage, and place that cage up on sawhorses, blocks, or hang it from the rafters, so that air can flow up underneath. Provide food and water, but NO bedding. Keep her in there for 3-4 days, unless she lays an egg earlier.

This method really helped me a lot with my broody golden laced wyandotte; she's been hogging the nesting area for three weeks now; throwing her out of the nest everyday didn't work. This method worked just fine! Thanks a lot.

Other hens may need a different treatment. The best way I know to break a determined broody hen is to confine her to a wire-bottomed cage, like a rabbit or parrot cage, and place that cage up on sawhorses, blocks, or hang it from the rafters, so that air can flow up underneath. Provide food and water, but NO bedding. Keep her in there for 3-4 days, unless she lays an egg earlier.

This method really helped me a lot with my broody golden laced wyandotte; she's been hogging the nesting area for three weeks now; throwing her out of the nest everyday didn't work. This method worked just fine! Thanks a lot.
Sorry, want to give credit to Sunny Side Up #1 who I quoted here.

Back
Top Bottom