How to Grow a Blueberry Bush

Chicken proofing is a bit of a project. Next year I need cages for the beans and peas.
I've fenced my whole garden with deer netting cut to 3.5' tall. It's working great for keeping the veggies in and keeping the chickens out!

Even better.

If I take the suckers and give them a clean cut, can I set them right into the soil??
I started mine in water last fall.

That is what I thought also so I really just decided to forget the grapes. lol I do love them but I can buy them at the grocery store.
My DH loves cherry's that is why we bought the cherry bushes from eburgess. I soaked them over night in water with root hormone to give them a jump start.

why do the cherry leaves cause a problem with livestock?
THere is a poison in the leaves that concentrates when wilted. SOrry it has been a long time since I read the info so I dont remember the specifics any more.

Honestly we have not had a problem if cherry is a small portion of the entire diet.

Quote: Thanks Arielle I appreciate your time and info. I wondered because of our livestock. Thanks
THought that might be the concern . . .
Yes, we just planted the cherry bushes we bought near the electric fence for the pasture. And I needed to know if I should pull them up. Thanks

Quote: Thanks Arielle I appreciate your time and info. I wondered because of our livestock. Thanks
Yes, we just planted the cherry bushes we bought near the electric fence for the pasture. And I needed to know if I should pull them up. Thanks
We have lots of the wild type of cherry tree-- so no way to remove all the risk unless we cut down every cherry.

I have discovered that EVERYTHING gets put on the "poisonous" list without much in the way of attaching "risk" . A yew is poisonous. But so is black pepper. Heck water could be considered a poison if a person was to drink huge amounts beyond what the body can process out in an hour . . .

Other trees are a risk too-- I"ve just stopped paying attention as long as my crew has plenty of hay.

We have lots of the wild type of cherry tree-- so no way to remove all the risk unless we cut down every cherry.

I have discovered that EVERYTHING gets put on the "poisonous" list without much in the way of attaching "risk" . A yew is poisonous. But so is black pepper. Heck water could be considered a poison if a person was to drink huge amounts beyond what the body can process out in an hour . . .

Other trees are a risk too-- I"ve just stopped paying attention as long as my crew has plenty of hay.
Thanks I just never knew about a cherry tree. I have some house plants that are poisonous and keep the cuttings away from my livestock. But I have never had a cherry tree or bush. If you have that many around with all your critters then I am not going to worry about it. Thanks!
wink.png

I cut a number of cuttings, lol, from the tall high bush blueberry at the BR turkey pen. I took both wood cuttings and new growth cuttings to compare development. Need a mister though-- which I had thought of it when I drove by the tack shop today. Could have picked up a spary bottle then.

I did buy a RUbels variety on sale-- a prolific wild blueberry type.

I have started to wonder about cultivated blue berries-- and if I went that direction would want the best flavored berry ever. ANyone have suggestions for a northern garden??

Back
Top Bottom