How to introduce sizzles to a standard-sized majority flock?

Welcome to BYC.
I have a multiple size flock, but my standard rooster is an extra large sweetheart. He never bothers the little roosters or hens. He and my oegb rooster have had a couple of brief dustups but neither of them keeps it up.
Also all of my chicks were raised outdoors so we're exposed from hatch. I would be uncomfortable integrating them into the same coop/run. In your case, I'd definitely build a second coop and run.
By the way most silkies are larger than bantam cochins.

The size alone should not be a problem, but different feathers and docile personalities might be.
I have a seperate coop for my silkies. I also have an integration pen in my standard coop where I place standard chicks after they were raised by Silkies. Occasionally I have silky standard crosses. I put them in my standard coop without issues.

:welcome

You SHOULD be just fine with them introducing them as you have before. We had a couple frizzles and sizzles and the big kids didn't bother them after everyone figured out their places in the order. There are always exceptions of course, but with them cohabitating separately you will likely be able to see if anyone gets aggressive at the barrier.
Thanks for the reassurance. I didn't know if it'd be fine because the bantams already in my flock were raised alongside the rest, and the newbies I've introduced have all been standard. But what should I do if I do see aggression through the run?

Thanks for the reassurance. I didn't know if it'd be fine because the bantams already in my flock were raised alongside the rest, and the newbies I've introduced have all been standard. But what should I do if I do see aggression through the run?
You have 2 options, broadly speaking.

1. let them work it out. Maybe add more separation time and see if people chill out before combining them.
2. Keep 'em separated.

Back
Top Bottom