How to keep drakes spirits up while hen broody

RebinNH

Songster
Jun 15, 2022
I lost one of my 2 muscovy hens a little over a week ago. Immediately the other hen layed an egg and she is now sitting on it nonstop. Today (at almost 5 PM) she has not come out of the coop at all to eat, drink, etc. I am concerned about the drake who went through missing and searching for the hen who died and now who is left alone while the other (momma?) hen is sitting on the one egg. Suggestions? Also is it too late for her to hatch and care for the one egg - weatherwise in southern NH? Nights are in the 40's and days in the 60's. Thanks!

I lost one of my 2 muscovy hens a little over a week ago. Immediately the other hen layed an egg and she is now sitting on it nonstop. Today (at almost 5 PM) she has not come out of the coop at all to eat, drink, etc. I am concerned about the drake who went through missing and searching for the hen who died and now who is left alone while the other (momma?) hen is sitting on the one egg. Suggestions? Also is it too late for her to hatch and care for the one egg - weatherwise in southern NH? Nights are in the 40's and days in the 60's. Thanks!
i’m sorry for your loss 😢
is your only hen now sitting on just one egg?
in my opinion it will be too cold in new hampshire and sad that there’s only one - if it even hatches- maybe you should break her broodiness .
i don’t have muscovies just other kinds of ducks though so hopefully someone with scovies will see your post and chime in.
I think at least you should put the Drake near nearby the hen so they can see each other

Back
Top Bottom