how to make compost work for me

bj taylor

Songster
8 Years
Oct 28, 2011
North Central Texas
i'm new to chickens. i have thrown my leftover stuff in the compost for years. i've never actually harvested my compost. i don't turn it & i don't layer it. i just throw things in it. i have alot of kitchen stuff. a fair amount of leaves.

now that i have chickens i'm wondering if i just throw the pine shavings into the compost? i'm using the deep litter method & wondering how quick it breaksdown.

i'm also considering having a couple of rabbits just for the manure. i've got two raised beds this year that are a block buster success. i want to continue this, but i need a source of manure.

i want to make my compost work for me now & not sure how to make it happen.

The deep litter method is easy. If you smell it, turn it. If you still smell it then clean it out and add it to the compost.

Sry I can't help you with the rabbits.

I don't follow any special rules with mine either. I add chicken poop and do add the pine shavings too. My rabbit is on wood stove pellets (compressed wood pellets) and I just throw hers on too. I occassionally add vegetable and fruit peelings if I remember. I add crushed egg shells when I've had to buy them from the store. I don't turn or water mine, I let nature do it. Mine seems to break down pretty well.

Back
Top Bottom