How to stop chickens from eating eggs?

TheChickenChaser

Chirping
Mar 6, 2024
Hello guys! My chickens have been only laying for less than a week, and all but two eggs have had cracks and holes in them. I suspect the chickens are the culprits as they laid a shell-less egg and when I found it there were beak holes. Any suggestions on how to stop them from destroying their eggs?
Also, on a side note, one of the two unscathed eggs was a double-yolk!

Well at least congrats on the double-yolker!

Perhaps once the shellless eggs stop, they'll leave them alone. The holes might have been made by their toe nails even.

One idea some do is put curtains on the nest boxes. If that doesn't do it, my idea was to paint the inside of the nest boxes black, then hang the curtains. They can't eat what they can't see.

Another idea I'd heard of was blowing out an egg and filling it with mustard and putting it back in the nest. Or, putting plastic or wooden eggs in the nests.

If you continue to get eggs with damage, make sure to photograph the shells so we can better assess. The damage could be deliberate or accidental as thin shells/uneven shells are not uncommon with new layers.

It's their natural instinct to eat broken, damaged or shellless eggs. It does not necessarily cause egg eating problems later on.

Back
Top Bottom