How trailer power adapters work question?

nao57

Crowing
Mar 28, 2020
So I wanted to ask about trailer power adapters. Like, when you go to look at the adapters at say Lowes, they have adapters for 7 pins, 6 pins, 5 pins, and 4 pins. (Or do you call them prongs?) Anyway it sounds, like 4 pin, 5pin, and 7 pin are most common(?)

But my question is; don't most of these kinds of plugs tend to be in categories by size for which pin you get? Like are most RVs only 1 type of plug? And aren't most really light utility trailers going to be a certain type also? Or will you find them mixed up with light utility trailers being... anything?

I thought I should ask before I act. I'm not wealthy enough to get or have an RV. But I wanted to get a light utility cheap trailer ... the cheapest possible and then build walls and ceiling around it for a multi-function setup; including for camping.

On your vehicle with towing capabilities check what type of plug the manufacturer installed. On newer vehicles it is usually a 7 way receiver, some are flat some are round.

There are various trailer plugs, 4-way is usually a boat or utility trailer (turn signals, brake lights and running lights) 6-way is usually livestock trailers, 7-way for RVs.

Best thing to do is check your tow vehicle plug then check what your trailer needs and then get an adapter. Better still take a photo of each, plug and receiver, then take the photos to a good auto parts store and ask for help.

If your looking for a camper try rvtrader.com they have all types and prices.
Hope I helped you. 😊

On your vehicle with towing capabilities check what type of plug the manufacturer installed. On newer vehicles it is usually a 7 way receiver, some are flat some are round.

There are various trailer plugs, 4-way is usually a boat or utility trailer (turn signals, brake lights and running lights) 6-way is usually livestock trailers, 7-way for RVs.

Best thing to do is check your tow vehicle plug then check what your trailer needs and then get an adapter. Better still take a photo of each, plug and receiver, then take the photos to a good auto parts store and ask for help.

If your looking for a camper try rvtrader.com they have all types and prices.
Hope I helped you. 😊
Wonderful! Yes you did. Thank you very much.

Back
Top Bottom