How were flocks of poultry maintained hundreds of years ago?

My grandparents only gave corn to their chickens, as supplement. Everything else they ate all sort of vegetable scraps (the same scraps that were fed to the pigs), and they were extremely busy foraging in the cow manure. Lots of bugs, worms and undigested cereals in there. They obviously had a lot of space to free range.
Traditionally, where I live, chicks were fed boiled egg + polenta wheat -which is ground corn- + a little bit of wine which was thought to have antibiotic properties.
I'm not that far from Italy - 100 km driving by mountain road to vinadio but much closer to the frontier walking. People in my village feed chicks with a mixture of egg and crushed bread. Never heard of the wine though !
Most people here feed adult chickens the traditional way. Giving whole grains, usually wheat and corn, letting them scratch in cows and sheep manure. When they have various animals, many cook cheap pasta, add the left over from last night's dinner which usually includes some form of meat, discarded fruit and vegetables, and all the animals including the chickens get fed that
My closest neighbour has something like ten cows. In winter she brings down her cows at her home, and she says the chickens spend hours scratching up the cow's dungs.

If people feed commercial layer feed, they give it as a supplement like people on BYC do for scratch, never as the main food basis.

I couldn't say how their chickens are faring on this diet and whether they lay a lot or not. I know that the chickens of my close neighbour with the cows are very healthy. I gave her a rooster and he is thriving.
Unfortunately I am now old enough to refer back to my great grandmother who was born over a hundred years ago (my grandmother was born in 1920)
I remember playing (chasing 😧) her birds as a child and she had big frightening dogs which protected them (maybe) I have a child’s memory of her stirring something on the hob (in her pinny) for her hens which smelt awful (however that could’ve been for me and my great grandad 😂) it had its own special pan. Except she would boil the beetroot in it too. I recall it looking like slop (not the beetroot) and had bits on top that looked like carrot. She used to put stuff from the veg plot into it. Leaves and stuff.
My grandmother did the same but I used to feed them the wild blackberries nanna and I picked (without telling nanna) because they had lots of pips. I remember Nanna discuss the strange hen poop with my mother.
I remember lots from my youth but have no idea what I did yesterday 😂
The first year we were here, a 97 years old neighbour got us into growing specific fodder beet for the chickens. He said chickens used to be fed on this through winter when he was young. At the time our flock consisted of six ex-batt's : they took a taste and firmly made it clear they would not eat it, either cooked or raw. We had grown about a 50 kilos ! Luckily another neighbour rabbits were not so difficult!

Just to say the difference isn't only in the years gone by and the type of chickens but also the way people live. Where there are small farms, or people living in that type of fashion, I think in many cases chickens will still be fed traditionally.

My grandparents only gave corn to their chickens, as supplement. Everything else they ate all sort of vegetable scraps (the same scraps that were fed to the pigs), and they were extremely busy foraging in the cow manure. Lots of bugs, worms and undigested cereals in there. They obviously had a lot of space to free range.
Traditionally, where I live, chicks were fed boiled egg + polenta wheat -which is ground corn- + a little bit of wine which was thought to have antibiotic properties.
The chickens could actually live long lives on that diet: when §°I was a little kid I had my pet hen. She was a leghorn with neurological issues. My grandparents never culled her because she was my pet and she lived for many many years. She died because she was run over by the tractor one day.
I love this, great information. Do you remember what type of wine was thought to have antibiotic properties?

I love this, great information. Do you remember what type of wine was thought to have antibiotic properties?
I reckon it’s red white and rose.
😂
Although the French have a national ruling that no employer can stop an employee having a glass of red at lunch time. Not sure how big a glass is but the police went on strike because the government wanted to remove it from their rights 😂
I just love France ❤️

all wine has antibiotic properties. Its the alcohol content.

Which is whhy before modern sanitation, medieval Europe drank "table wine" or a "small beer", or added a bit of wine to water before drinking it. Because the water wasn't safe.

I should note that the concentration of alcohol needed to truly disinfect is quite high - but a little bit of alcohol was better than nothing. As the saying goes in the home brewing community w/ regard sanitation, "nothing in there can kill you, but it can still make you plenty sick".

A small beer was typically a little under 3% alcohol.

Homer talks about adding 1 part wine to 20 parts water (honestly, I don't think Homer watered his wine at all), but other records suggest it was more like 1 part wine to 3 or 4 parts water. Since a typical wine is somewhere in the 11-14% range w/o fortification, that gives you your roughly 3% finished alcohol content.

(Yes, I was a history major at one time)

Which is whhy before modern sanitation, medieval Europe drank "table wine" or a "small beer", or added a bit of wine to water before drinking it. Because the water wasn't safe.
People still do that although it's become less frequent. Here in rural south of France people over sixty always add a third to a half wine in their glass. Germans don't drink water from the tap, they would rather drink beer.
Since a typical wine is somewhere in the 11-14% range w/o fortification, that gives you your roughly 3% finished alcohol content.
I'm not sure what the typical content of alcohol in the wine was in Greece in Homer's time. But the wine that people made here not commercially, but as part of their food, and that we still make, will not title over 11%.

People still do that although it's become less frequent. Here in rural south of France people over sixty always add a third to a half wine in their glass. Germans don't drink water from the tap, they would rather drink beer.

I'm not sure what the typical content of alcohol in the wine was in Greece in Homer's time. But the wine that people made here not commercially, but as part of their food, and that we still make, will not title over 11%.
Perhaps I overestimated the alcohol content of a wine -I'm not a big drinker. The yeast strain I have now for the wine in the pot should start giving up the ghost around 11% and a bit more. I have other strains to 14%, and the US still uses the description "table wine" up to 14%.

Speaking of, I need to bag, press, and go to secondary today.
1725809245235.png

Here's what U Chicago has to say on the subject.

Perhaps I overestimated the alcohol content of a wine -I'm not a big drinker. The yeast strain I have now for the wine in the pot should start giving up the ghost around 11% and a bit more. I have other strains to 14%, and the US still uses the description "table wine" up to 14%.

Speaking of, I need to bag, press, and go to secondary today.
View attachment 3938995

Here's what U Chicago has to say on the subject.
We don't add any yeast other than that which is present on the grapes and that's how people seem to have been doing it all around here. I think that would in part explain why it's not as strong.
It seems from that text the romans had strong wine. I found some information in this book that says the Greek's wine were strong and that it was of good taste to mix it with water. Drinking pure wine was rather shun upon and said to be a barbarian habit. Wine would be drunk undiluted only on very specific occasions or for therapeutic ends. But like in all societies some thinkers had a more liberal attitude.

Back
Top Bottom