How would you divide my flock (rooster question)?

AnnPann

Songster
Jun 29, 2022
Kansas
I am up to a flock of 17 (1 of them a rooster ~4 months old). Hens range from 4 months to 5yrs. they’ve all been together for the summer with no issues, but now that he’s doing rooster things, I’m rethinking my setup.

The primary reason is my oldest hen (and my 11 yr old daughter’s favorite) is smaller than him and starting to slow down. He’s managed to get on her a few times and each time she ends up limping around for the day - nothing too serious, but I worry it could injure her. Since she’s my daughter’s fav, she will be protected at all costs. So I want to separate that hen from my rooster.

My coop and run allow for this so the setup is pretty much ready to go, with equal space for both mini-flocks. The 2 flocks will be able to see each other at all times (coop and run can be divided by chicken fence and/or hardware cloth).

My question is how should I decide to divide the rest of the hens up?

A) only put hens with him that he gets along with well (like the 3 pullets his age)?
B) put him with some hens that he’s scared of so they’ll teach him some manners? (Some of my hens will chase him around, peck him, etc)
C) something else I haven’t considered?

I have one pullet that is fine with him but she’s unusually friendly and always wants to be around us, so I kind of want to put her in the “pet” flock with my daughters hen, so I don’t have to worry about the rooster getting agitated when I pick her up.

I know I’m totally over thinking this, so tell me how *you* would decide who goes where.

Attachments

• IMG_6380.jpeg
    IMG_6380.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 47
What Sourland said. She probably has some particular friends that would go well with her. If any of the older gals don't get along with her, they would be good staying on rooster training duty.
It's concerning that you see her limping after dealing with him. I would make this change asap.

C) something else I haven’t considered?
He's handsome. 🥰

Rehoming (even with a few ladies) or dispatching/composting/eating him and keeping an all hen pet flock is an option I would consider.. keeping 2 flocks is quite a hassle.. especially if it's based off of feeling guilty for someone else's mistake.. ie: sexed incorrectly (oops) cockerels.

Best wishes! :fl

What Sourland said. She probably has some particular friends that would go well with her. If any of the older gals don't get along with her, they would be good staying on rooster training duty.
It's concerning that you see her limping after dealing with him. I would make this change asap.
Yup planning on getting it done this week. She gets along with everyone, so I have no worries about who she’s with. I just don’t want to make an obvious rookie mistake with who I put the rooster with - like putting him with only the hens who let him do whatever he wants, which turns him into an unruly rooster. Is that a thing? Overthinking again?

I’d prefer to keep him if I can make this work, as long as he’s not a jerk to us humans. He’s a good looking rooster (and was not a cheap chick - he’s a Swedish flower, along with half my hens). If he turns into a mean rooster, he’s gone. He’s not mean and doesn’t hassle them too much. Does the tidbit thing a lot. So far the only prob is he’s just too heavy for the older hens. Doesn't seem like a soup-pot-worthy crime to me.

I overthought this some more during the night, and here's my plan. I am thinking good to keep at least one of the hens that is clearly higher than him on pecking order to hopefully help him not turn into a total jerk.

Am I wrong in thinking that if I need to mix the 2 flocks down the road (or swap some hens out) that it shouldn't be too much of an issue, since they will have been living side-by-side, just with a see-through fence between them? This includes the coop, which has divider panels made of chick fence, so even at night they roost right next to each other, just can't cross from one side to other.

I don't know how many years Fav Hen has left in her, and once she's gone, I don't see the need to keep separate flocks, other than temporarily to get hatching eggs from specific hen(s).

Thoughts? Particularly on the Australorp staying with him?

Pet Flock:
  1. Fav Hen (daughter's pet)
  2. ORP #2 (Fav Hen BF #1)
  3. ORP #3 (Fav Hen BF #2)
  4. SFW #1 (pullet, super friendly)
  5. SFW #2 (pullet, so Pullet #1 has a buddy of similar age)
  6. SFW #3 (chases Rooster / beats him up for bad behavior towards other hens)
  7. Leghorn (bottom of pecking order, small, scared of Rooster)
  8. SFW #4 (bottom of pecking order, small, scared of Rooster, buddies with Leghorn)
Rooster Flock:
  1. Rooster
  2. SFW #5 (pullet, gets along with Rooster)
  3. EE #1 (Older hen, Rooster tries to charm, tolerates/ignores Rooster, tough as nails)
  4. EE #2 (Older hen, Rooster tries to charm, tolerates/ignores Rooster, tough as nails)
  5. Legbar (Rooster favorite, tolerates Rooster)
  6. SFW #6 (she ignores Rooster, he ignores her)
  7. SFW #7 (has been broody, not much interaction, maybe switch will finally break her out of it)
  8. Australorp (Keeps Rooster in line, Rooster terrified of her)
  9. Welsummer (another Rooster favorite, tolerates him, Sturdy girl)

I think you are overthinking it, and I say that as an unashamed overthinker, lol.
Your daughters favorite hen only needs a few buddies to keep her company. Up to #3 or #5 should work either way.
Keeping the Australorp in with him sounds good.

In your place, I would be worried about her obvious discomfort from being jumped on... hens use a lot of calcium in their lifetime of laying, so it's fairly common for older hens to develop a condition similar to osteoporosis. I'd move her today, if as you said the coop is ready to go. That's a handy thing.

Your daughters favorite hen only needs a few buddies to keep her company. Up to #3 or #5 should work either way.
Agreed, but I have to divide the space 50/50, I don’t want the rooster side too crowded… introducing even more issues.

Thanks for info about older hens/calcium. I’m glad I’m on the right track on separating her!

Headed out shortly to start working on it so I can get it all done today…

You know, what would be best, is an ability to make one side bigger and one side smaller.

But it is what it is. Pick two or three that you want to get away from the rooster - after that, just a gate cut, meaning whoever you grab, until you have them evenly divided up.

I would put the rooster with the least number - cause I think roosters need more room.

Mrs K

Ok got it all divided and flock separated. Everyone seemed happy except rooster who seemed just confused about it all, and the one broody hen who couldn’t get back to her nest. My daughter was especially happy to be able to sit out there with her buddy. Hopefully it stays peaceful!

Back
Top Bottom