Howdy from the Keys!

Kflores80

In the Brooder
May 11, 2024
I am entirely new to raising chickens. My husband raised them most of his life but I am completely clueless lol!

We ended up with our first little baby the Friday before Easter Sunday. My husband is a welder for Waste Management and while at work one day he noticed this lone baby chick. She followed him all around his shop most of the day which is how he figured out she had been orphaned. He brought her home because he was afraid she’d get killed by the large truck scales. So, we ended up with a chicken. I was not entirely happy as I know nothing about chickens. I live in the Keys so we have chickens roaming around the streets but I’ve never thought of them as “pets.”

It took me approximately 35 seconds to fall in love with Karen LOL! She comes when I call her by name, although maybe it’s the sound of my voice calling her she recognizes? I very, very quickly grew attached to her and fell head over heels in love with her. We ended up getting 3 more hens from a feed store up in the Miami area. Unfortunately, we have no idea what type they are other than knowing they are females 😂.

We have 4 dogs and 2 cats so animal responsibility is not new to me, whatsoever. We were happy to expand our pack with feathered friends.

I’m also an avid gardener so our chickies benefit greatly from some fresh veggies and fruits.

I am a licensed mental health counselor for a correctional facility and run a drug treatment program. As I mentioned, my husband is a welder… all of our human children are grown and out of the house!

I’m so glad I found BYC! I’ve been lurking on the forum since I got Karen but wasn’t sure if I would ever post. I think I was taken by the fact that the forum responders are so kind and knowledgeable.

In case you’re wondering, I named her Karen because she’s a typical “Karen” (I’m assuming you know the term, here!). She likes to get into my face and squawk then preens my hair. She seems to only do this to me and I’m praying it’s a sign of affection and not disdain lol!

I’m attaching a few pics here so hopefully they upload alright. The black chick on my shoulder is Karen. Karen is an attention hog and never allows me to take pics of the other chickens without being in the photo. The pullet behind her is Ranji. Behind Ranji is Honey. Blondie is camera shy so I have yet to get a pic of her but she’s the same color as Ranji and Blondie.

If anyone has a clue of their breed, I’m all ears!!!

Thank you for letting me be a part of your family!
IMG_6199.jpeg

IMG_6464.jpeg

Welcome to BYC. I'm sure Karen recognizes her name, and not just your tone of voice. Mine know their own names as well as those of the others in the flock. When I call someone's name, they all turn and look at that one.
By the way, if Karen turns out to be a cockerel will you change her name?

Back
Top Bottom