Huggable chicken?

Aug 18, 2022
Massachusetts
I’m looking for a “huggable” chicken? What is the best most loving breed? I just lost 3 young spotted Sussex hens to a Predator and I’m distraught with grief. I need a chicken hug. What breed should I order to replace them? I have one Sussex and one Australorp remaining. We are all sad but going to try again.

Im sorry for your loss. I know how you feel. I just lost 12 ducks and 6, 3week old chicks to my dog, all in one night. It has been such heart breaking. But though I won’t be getting new chicks (I still have 18 that are 12 weeks old outside) until the spring, I am looking to get more ducks. Seeing the empty duck pond we JUST built and the house and run that was about done, it just hurts that much more. I think getting more will be helpful.

I too am looking at Brahmas. But those were going to be in the spring anyway because they are getting their own coop. I have read a lot about how gentle they are and I LOVE the way they look. Especially the light Brahmas!

Im sorry for your loss. I know how you feel. I just lost 12 ducks and 6, 3week old chicks to my dog, all in one night. It has been such heart breaking. But though I won’t be getting new chicks (I still have 18 that are 12 weeks old outside) until the spring, I am looking to get more ducks. Seeing the empty duck pond we JUST built and the house and run that was about done, it just hurts that much more. I think getting more will be helpful.

I too am looking at Brahmas. But those were going to be in the spring anyway because they are getting their own coop. I have read a lot about how gentle they are and I LOVE the way they look. Especially the light Brahmas!
I’m also sorry for your loss and appreciate your sharing with me some good advice. It is sad to see how hard you work and it’s taken away so quickly. Best of luck to you

I have had Brahmas, speckled Sussex, Rhode Island reds, silver laces wyandottes, and mixes of most of them. But my Easter eggers I got last year are by far the sweetest chickens I’ve ever experienced. My white EE, Hannah is especially sweet. I pick her up and perch her on my arm to do coop chores. And plus EEs have beards, cheek/ear muffs, and are super soft. And plus plus, they can lay blue or green eggs.

I have had Brahmas, speckled Sussex, Rhode Island reds, silver laces wyandottes, and mixes of most of them. But my Easter eggers I got last year are by far the sweetest chickens I’ve ever experienced. My white EE, Hannah is especially sweet. I pick her up and perch her on my arm to do coop chores. And plus EEs have beards, cheek/ear muffs, and are super soft. And plus plus, they can lay blue or green eggs.
This is excellent info maybe I will call and switch a couple to EE.

I have brahmas, wyandottes, Rhode Island reds, orpingtons and a red sex link, but the sweetest are definitely buff orpingtons. My hen mango is by far the sweetest and follow me around like a puppy. Sorry for your loss, good luck.

I’m looking for a “huggable” chicken? What is the best most loving breed? I just lost 3 young spotted Sussex hens to a Predator and I’m distraught with grief. I need a chicken hug. What breed should I order to replace them? I have one Sussex and one Australorp remaining. We are all sad but going to try again.
I'm so sorry for your loss. I have had all sorts of chicken breeds but I think one of the sweetest I've had are cochins and/or bantam cochins. My black largefowl cochin will let me hold her and snuggle her. Same with my frizzled bantam cochins. Silkies are also known for being quite mellow and huggable. I wish you luck in finding the perfect sweet chickens, no matter what breeds.

Back
Top Bottom