I am a little worried

cueball

Chirping
Apr 27, 2024
I had a Serama hatch disaster with one surviving chick. Someone told me they had sticky chick syndrome and to stop adding water to hatch eggs. In another incubator I followed their advise and stopped adding water to an Olive Egger hatch. 1 chick hatched on day 21. It is dried off and in the brooder. There are no pips or other signs of further eggs hatching. It is day 22. I had trouble seeing through the eggs to candle them. Should I wait? Should I add water? Should I do the float test? Any help is appreciated.

The one i have monitors that automatically. I just followed that persons advice because they have hatched 100s of chicks completely dry.

The one i have monitors that automatically. I just followed that persons advice because they have hatched 100s of chicks completely dry.
The automatic ones are almost always off. If you decide to do another hatch, I strongly recommend getting a second hygrometer to go inside the incubator.

As for your remaining eggs, the only thing you can really do is wait and see. Doing the float test is not a good way to tell if eggs are viable and can kill your babies if they are still alive.

Can you candle the air sack to see if they have pipped internally? I have done this carefully and held them close to hear them cheeping at me from inside.

The automatic ones are almost always off. If you decide to do another hatch, I strongly recommend getting a second hygrometer to go inside the incubator.

As for your remaining eggs, the only thing you can really do is wait and see. Doing the float test is not a good way to tell if eggs are viable and can kill your babies if they are still alive.
okay thanks I will keep that in mind.

Back
Top Bottom