I found something very interesting about lime last night!

Plain old Lime like farmers use, I am sure. He has several acres he farms, more like a mini farm, but I know that is what he was talking about. I have to laugh a little about the post that said used it for years but then OOOOOhhhh too caustic. . .but the stuff we are spraying on our fields and letting run off into our water and ingesting as food is A-OK! (NOT US people, using it as an example) and then lime is too caustic. What a hoot.

big_smile.png
thank you for the info I have been hearing about using lime after cleaning out the coop , I have some I bought for the garden . I thought they were using lime to rid the coop of parasites? Is that right?.... My daughter just had her arm tore up by a stray cat. She was helping her friend get out of the rafters of a house she had sold. I think I will bring her some and give it a try

Why in the garden? Does it provide nitrogen? Can you use it in a active garden. In Florida I always have something growing. I bought a bag of lime stuff from feed store but it is green??? Thanks for the info!!!

CAREFUL PLEASE!!

Lime is an alkali that helps neutralize soil that is too acid. It is made from crushed limestone.

CORRECT: that is AGRICULTURAL LIME that you put on garden beds to adjust Ph.
Lime is also an ancient building material.
BUT they differ in their structure.
The lime used for mortar, plaster, whitewash, etc. has had all the carbon cooked out of it. Now it is a hazard, and will remain a relative hazard until the mortar/plaster, whitewash, etc. cures after reabsorbing enough atmospheric carbon to become limestone again.
This lime IS too caustic to put on soil or certainly to eat. That is why it CAUTERIZES those wounds.
Folks that mixed lime mortar in the old days before portland cement burned their skin when their sweat mixed with the dust in the air.

If you use the wrong kind, and they are EASY to confuse if they are already on your premises with little or no labeling, you probably will burn something like yourselves or your chickens.

Chemistry shouldn't be confused with casually-passed household helper tips. PLEASE BE CAREFUL!​

Thanks for pointing that out Feckless!
There are also two kinds of agricultural lime--fast acting and slower acting, and I am not sure which one is used for runs. I would be VERY careful about using lime in coops and runs--not for me.

Back
Top Bottom