I hate small town politics!!

gritsar

Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!
14 Years
Nov 9, 2007
SW Arkansas
DH has been a police officer in a small town for 29 years, 5 months. He was "fully vested" and eligible to retire @ 28 years, but for some reason wants to make 30 years. He plans to retire in April of next year. He has survived several police chiefs and many mayors. The current chief, hired with absolutely no law enforcement experience but a friend of the mayor, is a member of the Good Ol' Boys network. Every officer hired since the current chief was hired are also members in good standing of the GOBN. Most live within a few miles of each other and some are related in the twisted way that happens in small towns.

When DH does retire he will be the very first officer to retire fully vested in the history of the department AND will be only the second city employee to retire with a full pension. DH has been through alot. He survived having nearly their entire forced killed in a freak accident back in the 80s. In 2007 DH was hospitalized with septicemia and nearly died. The mayor and PC tried to force him to retire then. They stopped pressuring him when DH's doctor wrote the city a letter telling them if they did fire him, he (the doctor) would encourage DH to file a lawsuit and the doc promised to testify on DH's side. Then last year DH was injured working a traffic accident. He was improperly treated at the town's hospital (where the city insisted he be treated), developed deep vein thrombosis and pulmonary embolisms. Again the mayor and PC pressured him to retire, knowing they couldn't force him because he was on workmans comp and still is to this day. He still has a blood clot in his leg that refuses to dissolve.

A couple of weeks ago DH was involved in a car accident on the way to a call. Totally the other drivers fault as she tried to beat his lights and sirens through an intersection. Yesterday DH was involved in another accident, this time a slight one with no damage to either vehicle. Again, the other drivers fault as she tried to drive around him as he assisted a stranded motorist.

The police chief just called. He suspended DH for today, because of yesterday's accident. When he goes back to work he will be forced to work at the high school, as the school resource officer. They tried to force him into this position a few months ago, but DH said no thanks; he likes working the streets.

It's common knowledge in the department that the PC wants DH to retire so he can promote a young rookie with only one years experience, to DH's current position of sergeant. The rookie of course being a distant relative of the chief.

DH is super mad, but in his quiet SCARY way. I am hopping mad. I am encouraging him to go ahead and retire now. Making that nice rounded 30 years isn't worth it for the stress it causes to his health. I know he won't though. As my DSD just reminded me in a text message, trying to get DH to do something he doesn't want to is like asking the sun to stop shining.

Sorry for the long post. I'm just blowing off steam. DH has given that town nearly 30 years of his best work and is very well respected in town. Considered to be the only officer that can go into a part of town "The Quarters" without back up. Too bad the Who You Ares have a different agenda.
somad.gif
rant.gif
somad.gif

Grits, there is NO loyalty anymore. . .and I understand why DH doesn't want to retire, to him that would like "surrendering". And never say die, you know.

Could he go to HR and ask them what can be done?? So sorry, so close to retiring and then having to put up with this.

My DH worked at a power plant, and was in the coal yard for almost 15 years before he went to the electric shop, and they hired a school teacher to be their boss. I will never forget DH coming home and saying, "this is exactly what i need. Been out there for 10 years, and now I need a SCHOOL TEACHER to come in and tell me how to do my job." Ironically, this boss turned out to be one of the best he ever had, but as you know and have told this is not the case in your story.

Hope it turns out OK, but I honestly don't think I could go down without a fight. That is just the Irish in me.

I'm a stubborn lil mule (might have something to do with my Napoleon complex LoL) and I wouldn't go down either. I would make sure the entire small town (mine is too) knows exactly how DH is treated. No one is going to listen to a "child with a badge." Which is possibly one of the reasons I didn't become a cop (I was in that direction but who will take a 5 foot nothin, 90 lb. cop seriously? I wouldn't). DH sounds like a good man and a great cop. I would push to stay with my original job and not give up or give in until I'm good and ready if I were him.

Unfortunately there is no human resources department. The mayor and the chief get together and make any decision they want to; frequently changing the "playbook" to suit their needs and desires.

I say, as long as he can get full benefits now, retire now! I know so many people that wait to retire, and then are too old/crippled/senile/ whatever to enjoy life. He is one of the few that HAS benefits, take advantage of it!

Quote:
Ditto.

I am going to retire next September. I'll be 59 years old by one day, and I could get better benefits if I stayed longer, but I want to be able to enjoy my retirement years. With the nerve damage from past chemotherapy treatment, and fibromyalgia, who's to say I won't have MORE debilitating days than I currently experience?

Small town politics.... yeah, I know that syndrome. Too well. Thank goodness I changed from county employment to state employment back in 1992. (But my 14 years in county employment still counts toward the total years retirement benefit calculation.)

Totally understandable you would want to vent about it - and also totally understandable that your DH would be stubborn about his plans.

I wish the best for both of you!

The good ole boys clubs are & have always been a huge pain in the backside. But here is good thoughts for your DH
hugs.gif
hugs.gif
he will work it out in his own quiet way. From several posts on here he is quite a man the department will realize their loss too late no doubt. He has give the city a good share of his life, the people there know who is going to give them a fair shake.
He is almost to his goal of 30 yrs. I have no doubts he will make it on his own terms. With the inexperience that is present on that force some of the citizens of an unsavory sort will soon make them wish they knew how to handle things better. They should be looking at better training for the officers who will be there when he has retired. He is & will always be a very respected member of the community.
smile.png
He will be sorely missed no doubt.
Hang in there he will make his way & it will be the way he wants after all he has been around long enough to know where all the skeletons are. I bet there are a few in your small town just as there is in any small town.
hugs.gif
hugs.gif
fl.gif

Right now I am staying holed up in the office, giving DH the space to work it out in his mind and in his own time.

I never brag on myself but I am very proud of DH. We can't make a trip to the walmart in town without DH being stopped by at least one town resident. They frequently want to tell me stories about the time DH helped them or a relative of theirs out. The kids in town adore him and run up to give him a hug.

It just makes me so mad! Back when DH and I were dating, but keeping our relationship quiet - DH hates anyone knowing his business - the police chief and the captain used their positions to find out information about me. I am an enigma to them; one of the few people that didn't grow up here, moving here from NC. I have no family here so it wasn't possible for them to trace me back through relatives. Instead they resorted to going to my place of employment, claiming official business, to get a background on me. Fortunately my co-workers can't stand the Who You Ares either and didn't say a word. I have nothing to hide, neither does DH; but our business is OURS and no one else's.
rant.gif

somad.gif
Yes, small town politics are ridiculous! But then, that takes me into bigger politics...which is the same...so....
duc.gif

I'm sorry, I can only imagine how frustrating your situation must be.

Grits - Just wanted to give you a big cyber hug
hugs.gif
. No words of wisdom to add other than, in my opinion, you are a very wise woman for just letting him chew on it and decide how he wants to handle the situation, all the while staying supportive of him.
hugs.gif
again to you just for good measure!

Back
Top Bottom