I have been trying to make my own feed/seed mix and want to if this is good

OK; then I would follow your instincts as expressed in post 4
With the pallets being too high in protein and not providing the birds with the other things they require, and the seed mixes being the opposite with not enough protein.

Over the years I have observed that the seeds mixes at least the cheaper ones have started to lack a verity of different seeds with it now mainly being rice and corn, causing the mixes to not provide a balanced diet and lack in protein
rather than the fixed items and quantities in post 1. Birds have evolved to select a balanced diet as best they can from what the seasons provide. Supply a variety of fresh local produce - grains and seeds that grow where you live, supplemented with some meat, fish, insect, dairy (animal protein in whatever form you can get it and is legal where you are), and observe. Trust your birds to select what they need in the amounts they need, and adjust your quantities through the year accordingly. You will get a good idea of what's needed within a week or two. Expect it to change. One size does not fit all the birds in your flock from day to day, never mind every day. To begin with they will be desperate to source the nutrients that have been lacking from their current diet; it will settle down soon.

Use as many bowls placed apart as necessary for all birds to eat at once. Do not leave food laying around - everyone should have had their fill after about 20 minutes. If they are not confined and can forage, let them for the rest of the day, and then offer your feed again before they go to roost. Ensure there is plenty of fresh clean water at all times. Good luck.

Sorry @Danish aseels , my current concerns are Helene. I've been doing storm prep since the start of the week in the expectation that I was spinning my wheels and would unpack Friday after work, having had a little wind and a light sprinkle.

Instead, its projected to hit as a Cat 4, tommorow evening, and I've already had 5" of rain. The wife and I live in an RV. If we take anything close to a real hit, the work I did on the house I am building will be reduced to the foundation, we'll lose everything we own, and have no way to "bug out" with the animals - two handfuls of goats, four turkey, a dozen rabbits (one just kitted), around a dozen ducks, and a bit over two dozen chickens will all be abandoned to their fate. Plus the shed, the barn, the chicken coop, the goat shed, and a few other things I've invested blood sweat and tears into. Can't move the RV either.

HOPEFULLY, it passes well east of us, I only miss a day of work or so, and only have a couple trees fall on the electric fence - and can then spend the hour and more its goign to take to get you your answer.

Please bear with me, you aren't forgotten, just reprioritized.
I am very sorry didn't know 🙏, my prayers are with you

That means I'm interested in what others have said or will say on this thread but have nothing to add myself. Posting something will get it to register on the "thread with your posts" option.

Attachments

• IMG_9735.jpeg
    IMG_9735.jpeg
    130.8 KB · Views: 0
and finally doing this now. Post incoming.

So, using brown rice - can't find good data on red rice except that its slightly lower protein, slightly higher fiber, and favors different minerals than brown rice.

Assuming fresh mung beans, not dried. Let me know if that's wrong?

and making some huge assumptions about your "0" feed.

Last edited:
The answer (assuming your "o" feed is 18% CP, 4% fiber, 2.5% fat, with an AA profile of .3 / .65 / .6 / .2 - what we consider the minimum for adult layers here in the US) is:

13.75% protein (most of your ingredients are low crude protein, this will also impact your amino acids, which make up that total protein), 7.6% fiber (that's very high), 5.7% fat (also high), .26% Met (low - very low for young birds), .54 Lysine (low, expect lower muscle mass development), .5 Threonine (low, this is key to membrane development and hatchability), .17 Tryp. Again, low.

Basically, you have no high nutritional value ingredients in your list, apart from mustard seed and mung bean (if its dried). Almost everything else in your list is low protein, the chickpeas, oats, sunflower seeds, safflower seend, and mung beans are all high fiber, and all your seeds are high fat.

I can't put together a "working" feed meeting US targets from those ingredients w/o including some at levels that will impair a bird's ability to derive maximum nutrition from the potential of the feed, and might well make it unpalatable besides.

Sorry.

The answer (assuming your "o" feed is 18% CP, 4% fiber, 2.5% fat, with an AA profile of .3 / .65 / .6 / .2 - what we consider the minimum for adult layers here in the US) is:

13.75% protein (most of your ingredients are low crude protein, this will also impact your amino acids, which make up that total protein), 7.6% fiber (that's very high), 5.7% fat (also high), .26% Met (low - very low for young birds), .54 Lysine (low, expect lower muscle mass development), .5 Threonine (low, this is key to membrane development and hatchability), .17 Tryp. Again, low.

Basically, you have no high nutritional value ingredients in your list, apart from mustard seed and mung bean (if its dried). Almost everything else in your list is low protein, the chickpeas, oats, sunflower seeds, safflower seend, and mung beans are all high fiber, and all your seeds are high fat.

I can't put together a "working" feed meeting US targets from those ingredients w/o including some at levels that will impair a bird's ability to derive maximum nutrition from the potential of the feed, and might well make it unpalatable besides.

Sorry.
What seeds are considered hight protein?

Tell me a good seed mix and I will try to make it

Back
Top Bottom