I have two broody hens...

I would put both broody hens together for a successful hatch. When to hens sit on the same nest they take care of the babies together and don't hurt them.
But you do need to put then in their own space away from other chickens that aren't used to babies. Until they are at least 1 month old
I have 2 Japanese bantam hens they look identical and I can only tell them apart from their combs. Twice a year at least they hatch babies together and never hurt them. The babies can't tell their Mom's apart so they follow both Mom's everywhere.
I would keep them together and let them hatch eggs
What happens if one broody hen starts pecking some of the babies? Do I separate her? My one hen is not done being a mom but the one is

This is just based on my experience:

Since you have so many layers, it may be an idea to put them in separate crates, but keep them inside the main coop - it eases integration later on. The broody hens need space to eat, drink and poop as well as having a nest. And yes, broody hens can be moved with success, assuming they are not actually sitting on eggs at the moment. I have a broody hen and when i block off her favourite nest, she goes to the next nest.

Once hatched, you will need space for the chicks to do their thing. The two mothers may well be fine together and not attack each other's chicks (more likely if you set eggs on the same day), but you would have to watch closely on that one.

The other adult chickens will likely ignore the chicks - mothers are great protectors, but in my experience, adults don't start to put chicks in their place until they are around 4 weeks old (then thats the time, it seems, to teach them some chicken manners).

If you've never hatched chicks with broody mothers before, it may be an idea to let one hatch, and break the broodiness of the other as it will make the learning curve more manageable.

All the best
CT
I have two broody hens. First hen hatched two chicks a week ago. The flock has had no problem with them. Second hen still on eggs. One of the chicks got close to the nest and the hen grabbed it and acted like it was going to eat it. I jumped in and as far as I can see the chick is ok. The chicks are now with momma hen. Has anyone ever seen this happen with their broody hens?

Really your set up is what should really determine this. And your expectations. I have found, that they know more about being a chicken than I do, and let them do it their way. I try and bother mine the least possible. I have a large enough coop for my flock and a 600 square foot run. In confinement, mine have enough space.

Once years ago on here - people turned in the eggs they set and hatched. Incubators and broody hens. Over time with thousands of hatches recorded - the percent was very close to 50% of the eggs set produced live chicks. So that is my expectation. If I get above 50% I think that is grand, but I set eggs knowing that it is unreasonable to expect that many chicks. "Don't count your chicks until they hatch" is based on real experience.

I read an article on here - I have only seen it once. To put a good healthy scoop of soil in the nest they have chosen. And I think it helps. I added a bit of bedding to the sides - and hollowed out the center. I mark eggs with the sharpie. I have found with medium sized standard birds, I do better with a clutch of 8 eggs verses 12 eggs, but I have found that mid summer, you can hatch bigger clutches.

My birds have been laying for months, so I took out the fake eggs in the other nests. In the past, I have had a hen sit on the correct nest for days, and then come in to find her on the nest next to it! I just move her back and have hatched just fine. But the last two times, I removed the fake eggs, and they have gotten on the right nest just fine every time.

I think it is better for her to get off her nest, go out get water and feed and terrorize the layers. With my first hatches, I worried about the layers, but anymore I don't. Mine get her live chicks out of a nest that is a couple feet off the ground, and introduces them to the flock on her own time, in her own way. I switch to chick feed for everyone, with oyster shell on the side.

If I do not catch her off the nest, where I can peak at the clutch, every 2-3 days, I carefully remove her from the nest carefully, and check the eggs. I also count the eggs from the layers. Once in a while I will find a stray egg, but not real often. But mostly I ignore her.

I have had two hatch the same day - and raised them together, even though they were in separate nests to incubate. Recently, my neighbor thought she had lost 2 hens, only to have them come back with 17 chicks following both of them.

Nothing is more fun than a hen with broody chicks.

Mrs K

Last edited:
Really your set up is what should really determine this. And your expectations. I have found, that they know more about being a chicken than I do, and let them do it their way. I try and bother mine the least possible. I have a large enough coop for my flock and a 600 square foot run. In confinement, mine have enough space.

Once years ago on here - people turned in the eggs they set and hatched. Incubators and broody hens. Over time with thousands of hatches recorded - the percent was very close to 50% of the eggs set produced live chicks. So that is my expectation. If I get above 50% I think that is grand, but I set eggs knowing that it is unreasonable to expect that many chicks. "Don't count your chicks until they hatch" is based on real experience.

I read an article on here - I have only seen it once. To put a good healthy scoop of soil in the nest they have chosen. And I think it helps. I added a bit of bedding to the sides - and hollowed out the center. I mark eggs with the sharpie. I have found with medium sized standard birds, I do better with a clutch of 8 eggs verses 12 eggs, but I have found that mid summer, you can hatch bigger clutches.

My birds have been laying for months, so I took out the fake eggs in the other nests. In the past, I have had a hen sit on the correct nest for days, and then come in to find her on the nest next to it! I just move her back and have hatched just fine. But the last two times, I removed the fake eggs, and they have gotten on the right nest just fine every time.

I think it is better for her to get off her nest, go out get water and feed and terrorize the layers. With my first hatches, I worried about the layers, but anymore I don't. Mine get her live chicks out of a nest that is a couple feet off the ground, and introduces them to the flock on her own time, in her own way. I switch to chick feed for everyone, with oyster shell on the side.

If I do not catch her off the nest, where I can peak at the clutch, every 2-3 days, I carefully remove her from the nest carefully, and check the eggs. I also count the eggs from the layers. Once in a while I will find a stray egg, but not real often. But mostly I ignore her.

I have had two hatch the same day - and raised them together, even though they were in separate nests to incubate. Recently, my neighbor thought she had lost 2 hens, only to have them come back with 17 chicks following both of them.

Nothing is more fun than a hen with broody chicks.

Mrs K
Great advice. My hens lay and hatch their own chicks in the nest boxes. I have not used an incubator. The broody hens do get off the nests and hang out with the flock. They have a 200x300 ft. run enclosed, plus free range on 3 acres when I'm outside. The oldest broody is still on her eggs. She is the one that grabbed a chick when it got too close. So hoping they get along when the chicks hatch.

Back
Top Bottom