I need an opinion about fence height

for your coop area fencing you could do bird netting/ or shade cloth from the roof to the top of your fencing. it's cheap can use zip ties to attach to the fencing.

My birds will fly over all my 6ft fencing... usually they are attracted for grazing or food or water.

I'm surprised nobody has suggested clipping wings. We clip one wing on each of our chicks as soon as they start getting ambitious about flying (our fences are 5'). Clipping only one wing puts them off balance so they fly in an arc. When they molt and grow new flight feathers, we clip again, and then once more after that. By the time they molt once more, they will have gotten heavier bodies and seem to have "forgotten" that they could fly, so we don't generally have a problem with them going over fences any more.

I have this over my run. My pullets have occasionally adapted to single and double wing clipping because they don't fly so much as jump up to the top of the 5' section and then go over. I do have a lot of Leghorns and a few Anconas which are flighty, active birds. They usually stop roving after they are about 18 months.
1722746408518.png

I have this over my run. My pullets have occasionally adapted to single and double wing clipping because they don't fly so much as jump up to the top of the 5' section and then go over. I do have a lot of Leghorns and a few Anconas which are flighty, active birds. They usually stop roving after they are about 18 months.
View attachment 3909834
That's what I use but I bought mine from Amazon and it was cheaper.

Garden cloth could work as a 'ceiling' deterrent if you're going to cover the top - it lets in light but also provides shade, depending on what percentage of shade you are looking for 40% - 90%. It will not keep out the rain (it's for gardens). The Greenhouse Megastore is a good resource for this. We use this on our garden and it deters even the most stubborn squirrels, birds, etc. It will keep your chickens from flying out.

Back
Top Bottom