I need help potty training my buff Orpington Roo and hen!!

My_lil_buffs

In the Brooder
Jun 15, 2024
I know this is silly but where I am it gets really hot and sometimes I have to bring my chickens inside normally I’ll get a tote box and put a perch in it but now they won’t just sit in there box and they will hop out and do a poo poo. My rooster might be more of the problem he will wait to poop until he can hop on you then take a dump and there will be seconds for the carpet. Any suggestions? I have 2 cats so I have a litter box they can go in if that should even work.

Attachments

• IMG_0991.jpeg
    IMG_0991.jpeg
    351.3 KB · Views: 18
I'd just work on making better arrangements either inside or in their coop. People have rarely had luck potty training chickens but for the most part you're probably not going to have much luck with it. They poop literally 20 times a day and unlike dogs will poop anywhere including where they eat and sleep. Chickens aren't untrainable but they have a bit less desire to please you than your cat. Not insulting cats BTW, I happen to think cats are often far more trainable than most people give them credit for, but they will only listen to you when it suits them. Intelligence varies from bird to bird so some birds will be smart and willing to please you enough to learn and others will either be not smart enough to figure out what you want of them or won't care what you want

Chickens can’t really control when they poop like a cat or dog. They have muscles down there, but not the sphincter muscles. Leave them outside with shade, all of the ventilation and fresh water they will be fine. They will pant which is normal, but a healthy chicken should be fine. My chickens (including orpingtons) have survived hotter than 104F days and are still kickin.

..Intelligence varies from bird to bird so some birds will be smart and willing to please you enough to learn and others will either be not smart enough to figure out what you want of them or won't care what you want
This. And they can't hold it so they would have to learn to pay attention to when poop is coming as well as to care where they are when it happens. Neither are in their instincts.

Back
Top Bottom