I need help quick!! Baby bantom with red eye and awkward eyelid!!

Sep 24, 2024
So i have this chick , his name is baby and he didn’t get a red eye just until this night when i checked on him.

This is what both eyes look like currently.. One of his siblings had the same thing and died the following week.. Could be coincidence but he’s the only one of his flock i have left and he’s my favourite ever so please quickly hurry!! vv

image.jpg

That’s his “red eye”
(it’s much more red irl and a bit squished looking)

This is what his normal eye looks like. vv

image.jpg

Both eyes ^^

He’s a bit gurgle-y too but he’s had that for a while, We haven’t cleaned his adoptive moms and his pen in a while. Could it be the poop and the spiderwebs and the pen its-self? If anyone could answer this quickly i’d appreciate it so much, Thank you and please don’t use fancy words and simplify them… 😵‍💫

Extra ADORABLE photo of him because as i said.. I love him to bits!!

image.jpg

Last edited:
He’s a bit gurgle-y too but he’s had that for a while, We haven’t cleaned his adoptive moms and his pen in a while. Could it be the poop and the spiderwebs and the pen its-self?

This is what his normal eye looks like
Welcome To BYC

Both eyes look to have Conjunctivitis. It could be due to ammonia and/or poor ventilation in the coop if there's a strong ammonia odor.
Possible, you may be dealing with a respiratory illness.

Clean/flush the eyes with saline, then put an eye ointment like Terramycin eye ointment in the eye. Do this 2 to 3 times a day.

Gurgling. Can you check his crop to make sure it's emptying overnight?
Feel the crop when he goes to bed at night (usually this is at dusk) then first thing in the morning before he's had anything to eat or drink.
The crop should feel like it has food in it at night, similar to a bean bag or hacky sack, in the morning, the same area should feel flat or like a deflated balloon.

See the photo below. The crop is located on the right side of the breast.

I realize you are a youngster, but it would be good if you can share the posts with a parent if possible, this way they can help you with your chick when treating him.

1727235103337.jpeg

Thank you!!
Welcome To BYC

Both eyes look to have Conjunctivitis. It could be due to ammonia and/or poor ventilation in the coop if there's a strong ammonia odor.

Clean/flush the eyes with saline, then put an eye ointment like Terramycin eye ointment in the eye. Do this 2 to 3 times a day.

Feel the crop when he goes to bed at night (usually this is at dusk) then first thing in the morning before he's had anything to eat or drink.
The crop should feel like it has food in it at night, similar to a bean bag or hacky sack, in the morning, the same area should feel flat or like a deflated balloon.

I realize you are a youngster, but it would be good if you can share the posts with a parent if possible, this way they can help you with your chick when treating him.

Welcome To BYC

View attachment 3951215
Thank you SO much!! I will share this with my parent so they will know what to do.

Back
Top Bottom