I need to know why you can't feed this food

The scratch I use is an 11-grain game rooster feed (called Knockout), same deal-not for laying hens. I use it for broodies who aren't producing so their poop stays more solid while they're setting and for my crippled rooster, Zane, and as my scratch. It's 12% protein. Used to be 13% but they upped the corn content. Still, it's fairly low in corn percentage.

Quote:
Makes sense to me. Sure beats the heck out of my scratch. Has to be better for a rooster pen than layer.... I worry about all that calcium that my roos eat in layer. I think the warning is for people who don't provide oyster shell, and maybe hens who won't eat it. I suspect it is a little low in protein for a young rooster; if that's who I were feeding, I'd add protein.

But for scratch, sure, I think it's great.

Quote:
Yes, I am also giving it to my broody because I had read that it helps keep the stools more solid.
My birds love it as an afternoon snack. I'm gonna keep feeding it.

Thanks all
smile.png

Can anyone help? I'm looking for an organic/non gmo rooster feed( close to 15% protein & under 2% calcium). Willing to prepare my own but want to make sure it's balanced properly. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom