IA here

Got it and responded. Thanks. It took me a while this morning to get caught up on emails this morning. Should have gotten up an hour earlier.
smile.png

Quote:

Forgot to mention that I did get the pair of Lemon Blue, Moderns AND a pair of New Hampshire Reds, at the auction. Got a great deal on them too!
For the past two or 3 shows, I'd been eyeing those lemon blues but could not seem to part with my money, and the seller seemed in no mood to negotiate. Shall I say one of those...um... intense people? I think Craig knows what I mean!
So when he put them on the auction for the club fund raiser, I pulled the trigger finally and got them! they are doing well in their pen this morning. And in typical Modern and OEGB fashion (they both do this) let you know loud and clear that SHE is gonna have an egg! And it's my fault! She was kind enough to lay an egg on the way home too! So I could be starting off with a small hatch of lemon blue Moderns??
The reds, i have been wanting one for a long time. They are pretty and gentle birds. These came from Dave Smith in Kalona, and Brett Kriefels, NE. they work together on the project. Since last year i have been waiting for him to sell some, but would not part with one. This fall he finally selected his breeding stock, and sold a number of them. Price I thought was high but, when he put the last female and male in the auction, I jumped and got the pair for 1/2 the price he was asking for one!
I also tried to buy a barred rock bantam rooster but the one i wanted, the owner, after a long internal debate, declined to sell. Thats okay he only had EIGHT others and I wanted the number 5. There was a trio of barred rocks on the auction, but I only wanted the male and Dave bought the trio. For the same reason I wanted it, a breeding project.
Anyone want to send me a barred rock cockerel for a christmas gift?
roll.png

Quote:

Thanks I have a pic of him on the silkie forum i will repost it here..hes been very lucky this year as we only hatched out a few birds but were just lucky with getting some really outstanding show birds. He works hard at it and does a good hour to an hour and a half of chores after school every nite so its nice when he is rewarded. I wish i had posted more on here as I would love to get to know my local chicken folk...I live about 7 min from the Iowa border and Cody was born in Waterloo and hes does go to school over the river..lol..almost Iowans...we were very excited about getting a 1st out of the 3 black LF cockerels in the JR Ameraucanas as we had a bad experience with a roo we bought last year was DQed as it had squirrel tail ...so that 1st was good too..he also had the 4 nankins he show them everywhere we go to...his BB rooster was the Jr BB at Crossroads this year so he has done well with them too....loved the show there were some really high end show birds there. Congrats to all the winners.

56219_dsc_0038.jpg

Heres Cody and one of his white pullets...Buttons she was the JR Grand Champ of the show at the WI International and then Res Champ Jr Bantam at this show...

I clerked for that judge last year, it was Art Reiber. I remember the bird also. I have squirrel tails that pop up every now and again in my line. He was nice and broad though.

I also remember talking to Cody. He was the first one to enter the show this year and got exhibitor #1. Awesome!!!

ETA: The pic also gives me a warm fuzzy feeling. Ha ha!

Quote:

Thanks I have a pic of him on the silkie forum i will repost it here..hes been very lucky this year as we only hatched out a few birds but were just lucky with getting some really outstanding show birds. He works hard at it and does a good hour to an hour and a half of chores after school every nite so its nice when he is rewarded. I wish i had posted more on here as I would love to get to know my local chicken folk...I live about 7 min from the Iowa border and Cody was born in Waterloo and hes does go to school over the river..lol..almost Iowans...we were very excited about getting a 1st out of the 3 black LF cockerels in the JR Ameraucanas as we had a bad experience with a roo we bought last year was DQed as it had squirrel tail ...so that 1st was good too..he also had the 4 nankins he show them everywhere we go to...his BB rooster was the Jr BB at Crossroads this year so he has done well with them too....loved the show there were some really high end show birds there. Congrats to all the winners.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom