IA here

Hello
smile.png

New to the forum, have started looking thru some of the posts/threads, FAQ page, reviews, the learning center, and know I'm going to like it here.

I live in Central Iowa in the country - N of Ames, S of Fort Dodge - I've never raised a chicken in my life (though I know those who have, and I have a learning/working knowledge of what to do...kinda)

My hope is to begin chicken raising this 2013 spring.

And Salutation to any fellow Central Iowans!
Wow, you must be almost my neighbor.
smile.png
We live by Duncombe though we have a Webster City address.

I'm having chickens on the brain also...getting close to spring and I will order chicks soon. We also have a broody Australorp sitting on some mutt eggs. We have quite the mix of brown layers and a White Rock roo so it will be interesting to see what we end up with.

My dog got into the coop 2 days ago and destroyed 10 layers and one roo so I am anxious to get more chicks. I was really devastated to lose so many at once.
hit.gif
I'm trying to decide for sure what breeds to try this year, I am thinking barred rocks, black minorcas, and some NH reds from McMurray, along with 50 Cornish X. I want really good layers.

Someday I would love to get into Iowa Blues though!

Where does everyone get their chicks? Has anyone been to the Fort Dodge flea market in the summer? We haven't been but will probably go this year.

Sounds great. how do you like Cackle? I'm so lucky we can go pick up our chicks and not have them shipped. We are right by MM, and I've also picked up from Welp and Hoover's also. I loved Welp's Cornish X so much, I hope we have good luck with MM this year.

I won't get mine till May because we go stay in Pella for several days at Tulip Time and I don't trust anyone else to check on the chicks- especially meaties.
hmm.png
So I wait till we come back from out of town.

Sounds great. how do you like Cackle? I'm so lucky we can go pick up our chicks and not have them shipped. We are right by MM, and I've also picked up from Welp and Hoover's also. I loved Welp's Cornish X so much, I hope we have good luck with MM this year.

I won't get mine till May because we go stay in Pella for several days at Tulip Time and I don't trust anyone else to check on the chicks- especially meaties.
hmm.png
So I wait till we come back from out of town.

I have never ordered from them before but they do get some pretty great reviews for their birds. Guess I will find out in April.

HI all of you fellow Iowans, I am from SW corner of the state near Bedford. I just joined BYC and have already learned a lot. I am going to join in on the Easter Hatch contest. It will only be the second time I have hatched anything.

Welcome to BYC Coop Cleaner,
This site is my favorite spot on the internet, I too have learned so much from BYC. One thing I have learned is chicken math, hatching is an ADDICTION! I started out with a (1) styrofoam bater. I now have a bator made by my husband that will hold 4 turners of eggs.....it is an ADDICTION!!! I am separating chickens today, so I will wait 2 weeks to incubate.

To All: what is the Fort Dodge animal swap like? Anything like Waverly swap?

Back
Top Bottom