Ideal height for coturnix quail pen

I have a coop that was made for chickens. I am new to quail and my chicks are still indoors right now. I was told by the breeder that I can use the higher coop but it's recommended that I put foam padding on the top of the coop, or stretch a cloth across and tie it taut. Both of these things will help protect little heads and necks. I am going to be padding with the foam mattress covering and hoping that helps. My little guys are only 4-5 days old and already hopping up and trying to fly.

I bought 30x18x18 cages and plan on crisscrossing garlands of fake plants to reduce the 18" ceilings. Dollar Tree has fake ivy for a buck. When I've used flower garlands/leaves on previous cages, they looked really nice and made me happy. I smile thinking back on it.
smile.png

However, part of the problem with reading about coturnix requirements is that most assume standard size birds and I have to keep in mind I'm getting jumbos.

I have found thru experience that the best height and construction for coturnix quail is 30x40x11. I use 1/2x1 welded wire for the bottom, 1x2 for the sides and 1/2x1/2 for the top. I also put a 4 in strip of 1/4 or 1/2 hardware cloth around the bottom to keep young bird from squeezing thru. This gives you the height for a gallon or quart waterers on a wood block riser.It also is small enough to reach all the corners. I have vertical 2x4 supports with 1/2" rebar supports. This gives sufficient space to use nipple watering system that can be lowered or raised to bird head height. When the birds are 3 weeks and feathered, they can be moved from the brooders into these pens. It will hold 30 birds all the way thru growout.

Hi which would work better for a cortnix or bobwhite pen floor 1/4 * 1/4 inch mesh or 1 inch hexagonal chicken wire. And would 2 * 2 inch mesh work for the sides.

Hi which would work better for a cortnix or bobwhite pen floor 1/4 * 1/4 inch mesh or 1 inch hexagonal chicken wire. And would 2 * 2 inch mesh work for the sides.
Quackers, to put it bluntly, none of the sizes you mentioned would work. The largest you would want to use for the sides is 1" x 1", and nothing smaller than 1/2" x 1/2" for the flooring. The 1/4" x 1/4" will not allow the droppings to fall though the floor, and it will pile up quickly.
If your cages are going to be outside, you will definitely have some predators (bird or cat) will definitely get at your quail, or your quail will find a way to squeeze out. With the recent Bird Flu going on in the Midwest, the last thing you want is an infected bird getting into your cage and infecting your quail.
I really do wish I had a better answer, but you have to remember the safety of your quail should always be the number one priority... cost of building supplies is up there, but not the top of the list.
James

Mine is huge about 12 ft widebwi ,25 foot long and 7 ft tall and the orange fence is going on top for hawks

I also plan on digging up more plants and putting them in there as well so they can nest in the plants

Attachments

• IMG_20180823_165047782.jpg
    IMG_20180823_165047782.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 81

Back
Top Bottom