Ideas for articulated dragon wings please!

-Kiwi-

eepy thing =w=
Premium Feather Member
Sep 13, 2020
your walls ;3
Last night I had a stroke of inspiration. I love dragons, and have always loved drawing them, studying bat wings, their muscles, how to make them realistic, but I wanted to take it a bit farther.
What if I made myself some dragon wings? Like moving ones that can fold and stretch realistically? They would probably be like extensions of my arm since that would probably be easier, but I have no idea how I would do this.
They would probably be made from hollow metal tubes or thin plastic pipes, but how would I make the joints, and how would I figure out what to use for the membrane? How would I connect the membrane to the wings "fingers". Maybe I won't actually do it but it would be really cool to try! In a bit I'm going to draw up my ideas on paper, and I'll post it here. Thoughts?

Look up the old Fursuit community on Livejournal, or google some more recent fursuiting or cosplay forums. For real, those people will hit you up with all sorts of tips and tricks and how-tos and whatever you need.

I will say that from what I remember, articulated and moving wings are one of the more difficult things to make. If you've not done this sort of thing before you'll likely have a large learning curve in front of you, but don't let it deter you. You can do anything from arm-wings like bats, or hook it up to a sort of backpack or harness--in the backpack style you'll be looking at needing to motorize the movement, most likely, which is a whole different set of skills!

Anyway, like I said, look into fursuiting and cosplay forums because they do this sort of thing all the time.

Last night I had a stroke of inspiration. I love dragons, and have always loved drawing them, studying bat wings, their muscles, how to make them realistic, but I wanted to take it a bit farther.
What if I made myself some dragon wings? Like moving ones that can fold and stretch realistically? They would probably be like extensions of my arm since that would probably be easier, but I have no idea how I would do this.
They would probably be made from hollow metal tubes or thin plastic pipes, but how would I make the joints, and how would I figure out what to use for the membrane? How would I connect the membrane to the wings "fingers". Maybe I won't actually do it but it would be really cool to try! In a bit I'm going to draw up my ideas on paper, and I'll post it here. Thoughts?
OMGOSH I had this same crazy idea!

Back
Top Bottom