Ideas for washable/reusable chicken bedding for nesting box?

piyo

Chirping
Feb 9, 2023
I've seen reviews on Youtube for various types of reusable bedding for nesting boxes (like nesting pads), but, seeing them, they look so flimsy and thin, I feel like my hens would not use them because they're not soft enough like a nest. I was thinking about fake grass, but I'm afraid they will peck/scratch at it and swallow plastic pieces. Anyone have any suggestions for good reusable/washable chicken bedding to use for nesting boxes?

Empty plastic coated feed bags w/ a sheet or two of bubble wrap inside. Free as free can be, and better than chucking the materials in the trash. The feed bags aren't really "washable" but they can be wiped clean with a damp paper towel, or simply tossed if they're too soiled.

I top them with a bit of bedding but to be honest even if the chickens kick most of it out the padding provided is still good enough to prevent breakage in most eggs.

Empty plastic coated feed bags w/ a sheet or two of bubble wrap inside. Free as free can be, and better than chucking the materials in the trash. The feed bags aren't really "washable" but they can be wiped clean with a damp paper towel, or simply tossed if they're too soiled.

I top them with a bit of bedding but to be honest even if the chickens kick most of it out the padding provided is still good enough to prevent breakage in most eggs.
How do your girls like it? We are preparing and I've got feed bags as I had read your post and then I have fleece pads as well. Thank you

Back
Top Bottom