if you have genetic questions

honestly i think its just wrong leg color maybe if breed him to another one with correct leg color then breed that male to the mother hen and keep doing that until you get correct leg color

A sizzle is a mix of a silkie and a frizzle or frizzled cochin which you might have known and not specified, but your right about the toe numbers.

yeah thats hat i ment blond moment
hide.gif

greenriverhen's cock bird with the leg color issues is a Speckled Sussex. Shanks and feet should be white/w pinkish cast. Does anyone think this might be foreign blood showing up? Or illness? or just pop-up genetics?
I now there are a bunch of genetics experts here. Thanks!
Karen

Last edited:
can somebody answer how do you get a spangled chicken. im talking about like oeg spangled. im wandering about cochin bantam as the breed

can somebody answer how do you get a spangled chicken. im talking about like oeg spangled. im wandering about cochin bantam as the breed
If you cross partridge and mottled cochins together, and then cross their offspring together, you will eventually get something similar in appearance to spangled OEGB. Genetically it will not be quite the same as the cochins will be e^b based and spangled OEGB are e+ based. To get the same gentype, you would have to outcross to a breed that has a wildtype variety.

You will need at least two generations for mottling to show (it is recessive), and since the mottleds are probably E based, you will need to get rid of those genes and replace them with e^b.

As for the number of toes, polydactyly can be very variable in expression. In the first cross of a non-polydactyly bird with a polydactyly one, the offspring will be heterozygous (have one copy) for the polydactyly allele, and could produce all 10-toed chicks--or birds with 4 toes on one foot and more on the other. With polydactyly it is not unusual to have extra toes pop up. Incubation temperature during the first few days can suppress the expression of fifth toes (and presumably extras as well).

Back
Top Bottom