Illinois...

I think Bear is actively trying to lay again. She was pumping her vent and abdomen - not sure how to accurately describe this - and was singing a laying song it sounded like. She was on the roost again. I decided to gently pick her up and set her in the nest box, which she walked right out of. I hope she doesn't lay an egg from the roost again like yesterday.

I think Bear is actively trying to lay again. She was pumping her vent and abdomen - not sure how to accurately describe this - and was singing a laying song it sounded like. She was on the roost again. I decided to gently pick her up and set her in the nest box, which she walked right out of. I hope she doesn't lay an egg from the roost again like yesterday.
It can take a couple of weeks to get the reproductive system straighten out

Yesterday a white poult looked unwell. One of the ones in the last picture.... Dead under the roost this morning
:rant:hit
So down to five white and eight brown.... Glad I didn't get close to these poults... I would be devastated if they were pets. I have been looking at them as food and that I have more than I need
I see why they say poults are hard to raise.
I guess what makes it to 10 wks should be hearty.
I don't think I will be selling any jennies in case I have some diesease that might be spread.

Yesterday a white poult looked unwell. One of the ones in the last picture.... Dead under the roost this morning
:rant:hit
So down to five white and eight brown.... Glad I didn't get close to these poults... I would be devastated if they were pets. I have been looking at them as food and that I have more than I need
I see why they say poults are hard to raise.
I guess what makes it to 10 wks should be hearty.
I don't think I will be selling any jennies in case I have some diesease that might be spread.
:hugs I'm sorry for your loss. Even as food, it's still sad to lose a bird.
What signs do you see before they die?

:hugs I'm sorry for your loss. Even as food, it's still sad to lose a bird.
What signs do you see before they die?
Thanks
they act cold or not well.. fluffed up, hunched over, lethargic ( just sitting around in the sun and/or by themselves) ... normal poop, eating and drinking. .. I put nutri drench in the water when I see this.. may just keep it in until they are 10 wks...need to buy stock in whatever company makes this.. I have 10 waters out that are changed daily, that turkeys can drink from ..turkey people say that poults are fragile until 8-10 weeks.

eta opened her up and everything looks normal, not sure what is going on... I have lost 4 with the same symptoms , but one stayed out during a thunderstorm, over 4th of july night.

Last edited:
Thanks
they act cold or not well.. fluffed up, hunched over, lethargic ( just sitting around in the sun and/or by themselves) ... normal poop, eating and drinking. .. I put nutri drench in the water when I see this.. may just keep it in until they are 10 wks...need to buy stock in whatever company makes this.. I have 10 waters out that are changed daily, that turkeys can drink from ..turkey people say that poults are fragile until 8-10 weeks.

eta opened her up and everything looks normal, not sure what is going on... I have lost 4 with the same symptoms , but one stayed out during a thunderstorm, over 4th of july night.
Scary it happens so fast, but thanks for letting me know what to look out for. Mine are only 4 weeks & still in that danger zone of being fragile. Thankfully, they're finally learning the routine of going back & forth to the coop & tractor. My tractor for the turkeys has a flip lid (so they can't walk into it themselves), but this morning, they actually walked there and were waiting for me to lift it so they could walk under the wire. (It took them 4 weeks to learn this! LOL) I use tractors for all the young chicks for hawk protection. I move it just a little each day, so on a day when it gets moved to a new row, the chicks run to where they think it should be & go in circles looking for it.
:lau

Here's a video we made a few years ago to show what it looks like:

Scary it happens so fast, but thanks for letting me know what to look out for. Mine are only 4 weeks & still in that danger zone of being fragile. Thankfully, they're finally learning the routine of going back & forth to the coop & tractor. My tractor for the turkeys has a flip lid (so they can't walk into it themselves), but this morning, they actually walked there and were waiting for me to lift it so they could walk under the wire. (It took them 4 weeks to learn this! LOL) I use tractors for all the young chicks for hawk protection. I move it just a little each day, so on a day when it gets moved to a new row, the chicks run to where they think it should be & go in circles looking for it.
:lau

Here's a video we made a few years ago to show what it looks like:
looks very useful
glad you could train them... when they get older they will want to explore the trees , top of the coop, gates.. mealworms are there favorite bribe treat

I am going to start corid again... I did that after the first one died and but had a second die near the end of treatment so I don't really think its cocci

Bear layed another egg that I found yesterday under the coop. This one was a small egg. Not sure if there's a yolk or if it's a fart egg - didn't crack it yet.
Also, an update on the orpingtin chicks: two weeks in and they are going strong. Eating and drinking well. Still on medicated feed though. Be only 2 they takes bit longer to get through a bag of feed. When we had five chicks in the brooder they devoured/made a mess of a 5lb bag of medicated feed in just a week. The two orps are feathering out a bit. The lav had more tail feathers than the laced, but both are coming along nicely. Here is a pic for all of you. I still cannot tell if they are female or male. Roosters are not allowed here, so I am hopeful for two hens.

Attachments

• 20180720_202322.jpg
    20180720_202322.jpg
    492.1 KB · Views: 16

Back
Top Bottom