In your experience--what breeds are the nicest roosters? And meanest?

LauraG

Songster
9 Years
Apr 13, 2010
Upstate, NY
I think I got a roo out of my supposed flock of pullits. ugh. Its a Barred Rock.

I was just curious, in your experiences which breeds have been your nicest tempered
love.gif

and most aggressive
somad.gif
roosters?

I'd love to hear your opinions

Last edited:
I only have experience with one breed, but our Serama/OEGB roo is sweet, tame and a gentle mate to his hens. Sadly, we had to find a new home for him after a neighbor's complaint (roosters are illegal where we live). We really miss him, he's a darling. Fortunately we did find a good home for him, though.

I had a mean Buff Orp, Speckled Sussex, Silkie (attacked me every day), and questionable White Leghorn. I've had a nice EE, Blue Orp, Barnevelder, and Olive Egger.

The very mose evil I have ever had was a polish (white crested black) he attacked my dd who was 2 at the time, I gave him a break and a talking to the first time second didn't end so well, he went straight at her face with his spurs, he had charged me once or twice, he was rough on the hens. Two years ago a had a blue andalusion that was pretty bad, but he was a stealth attacker, you would just hear footsteps behind you, then he would get the back of your leg, if you turned around he would stop and act like he was eating or something (he is also not here). I have never had any trouble from my speckled sussex roos, or my ee roos, so far my two wellsummer roos are fine, one follows me a lot, but so far, they seem nice enough. I have a son of my mean blue out there that is leaving soon, he was a slow maturing bird, thought he was a hen all winter, he is free ranging, but he can get in with the hens over the fence on the run and is horrible with them, so he will leave.

I think aggression is specific to the individual and has nothing to do with the breed. Buff Orpingtons are usually one of the most laid back of chicken breeds. But the meanest rooster I've ever personally known was a Buff! The single best rooster I've ever known for taking care of his flock and being trustworthy around kids was a Rhode Island Red - a breed many have said produced mean roosters. I've been jumped by Silkie roosters more than once. Been around very large game breed roosters that were quite the gentlemen. Really doesn't seem to have much to do with the breed, but a lot to do with the individual.

A.T. Hagan :

I think aggression is specific to the individual and has nothing to do with the breed. Buff Orpingtons are usually one of the most laid back of chicken breeds. But the meanest rooster I've ever personally known was a Buff! The single best rooster I've ever known for taking care of his flock and being trustworthy around kids was a Rhode Island Red - a breed many have said produced mean roosters. I've been jumped by Silkie roosters more than once. Been around very large game breed roosters that were quite the gentlemen. Really doesn't seem to have much to do with the breed, but a lot to do with the individual.

I *totally* agree, but I just thought it would be interesting to see if there was a common thread based on peoples experiences. A non-scientific approach & just a general curiosity for me.

By the way, every time I see your avatar I crack up! I love it, don't ever change it!​

Like dutchhollow, my meanest ever rooster was a Gold Laced Polish (I think it is because they don't see well) and my daughter has a spur scar to prove it!
somad.gif
The only rooster that never showed a bit of aggression was my Sicillian Buttercup rooster
love.gif
Loved that roo!

I havnt had any luck with "nice" roosters or even if there's a such thing. I've had the following roos: Rhode Island Red, Easter Egger, White Plymouth Rock and the rooster from hades...Salmon Faverolle. I've been thinking about a Jersey Giant, Barred Rock or some kind of small rooster like a banty. I'd like input on everyone's thoughts on this issue also. Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom