In your flock, what is the average lifespan of your hens?

Not sure what my actual average works out to be but I currently have:

- 2 8-yr-olds (from an original 4)
- 2 6-yr-olds (from 4)
- 3 4-yr-olds (from 4)
- and 4 chicks (from 4)

1 loss was to predator, 1 had multiple health issues from birth so it was a miracle that she made it to 2.5-yrs-old. The other 3 losses (1 from each older bracket) were within the last year. So losing 3 out of 12 to age/non-congenital health issues isn't too bad. I mostly have heritage breeds (feed store quality) with a few "eggers" in the mix.

Not sure what my actual average works out to be but I currently have:

- 2 8-yr-olds (from an original 4)
- 2 6-yr-olds (from 4)
- 3 4-yr-olds (from 4)
- and 4 chicks (from 4)

1 loss was to predator, 1 had multiple health issues from birth so it was a miracle that she made it to 2.5-yrs-old. The other 3 losses (1 from each older bracket) were within the last year. So losing 3 out of 12 to age/non-congenital health issues isn't too bad. I mostly have heritage breeds (feed store quality) with a few "eggers" in the mix.
Very impressive!

I have a porcelain d'uccle that finally stopped laying at 6 yrs old. She is now a babysitter for the babies I hatch out. She's not aggressive but does teach them manners. I added my silkie porcelain cross hen who has never laid an egg(she is now 2) to the growup pen and she likes to take the babies under her wings.

The thing about average is that it adds up all the extremes, and then divides it. The same is true of the median... it is the data in the middle of the extremes.

What I think would be a more accurate goal to aim for, is the mode over a great deal of time. At what age range do most of your birds die at. That would be 3-5 for me. IF they don't get eaten by a predator.

And even then, I have to admit, I am coming off of a huge predator disaster in the middle of the day three years ago. I had two birds escape that... and I have them still. Did they have better intuition, better experience? A more natural ability to succeed?

Thing is, really what you can do is give shelter, safety, consistent good food, and clean water. If you are doing that, do not feel guilty if they die at 2 days, 2 months, 2 years... Too many people feel guilty over things that are not their fault or under their control.

If you think about it, even people die at different times, and really there is little to predict it.

Mrs K

We’ve had chickens for 4 years, all came from TSC. After weeding out the roosters, we ended with 4 hens. (We just got chicks again this spring, so I’m talking about our OG girls.) Over the years, we’ve lost one at about 1.5years to a heart attack, another to ascites at just under 4 years old, and another 4 year old is starting to have problems that make me think we won’t have her too much longer.

This made me curious what the average lifespan is in other’s flocks? I’ve googled and it said like 8 years…I’m just wanting real world answers. I know there are some chickens who live very long lives but I wonder - are they the minority? Just curious. What is considered “old age” in chickens?
Yeah that's a good question. Depending on if they are free range or not. Mine free range and live about 5-6 years. I'd say when they are five to six is when they are old. If you let them free range they will be happier and healthier. So it also depends on environment and care:)

Back
Top Bottom