Inbreeding and Breeding Small flock

Quail are ground birds. While some may use a second floor accessed by a ramp, don't count on it. They are ground birds, so they don't use perches. Their feet aren't built to grip.

They can be trained to use nipple waterers, but until you're sure they're drinking from them you want to make sure that they have access to water on the ground.

They will prefer many small hiding places over one larger shelter, and will lay their eggs wherever they feel like it.

Make sure your quail home is secure against predators. EVERYTHING likes to eat quail, and many vermin/predators can fit though surprisingly small gaps. This is why you will hear us recommend 1/2" hardware cloth again and again.

Also, what about brooders for hatching chickens with the parents?
You will want a brooder. Many quail hens will not raise the chicks even if they do manage to hatch them. You were thinking of hatching them using a bantam, but then you will still need a brooder.

You will really need to watch the hen to make sure she doesn't kill the chicks if you decide to put her in with them. If you want a mother for the chicks, you will have best luck with an older hen, one that is at least 18 months old.

Are you aware that coturnix quail have short life spans? They have about the same lifespan as a pet rat, which is 2-5 years.

Quail are ground birds. While some may use a second floor accessed by a ramp, don't count on it. They are ground birds, so they don't use perches. Their feet aren't built to grip.

They can be trained to use nipple waterers, but until you're sure they're drinking from them you want to make sure that they have access to water on the ground.

They will prefer many small hiding places over one larger shelter, and will lay their eggs wherever they feel like it.

Make sure your quail home is secure against predators. EVERYTHING likes to eat quail, and many vermin/predators can fit though surprisingly small gaps. This is why you will hear us recommend 1/2" hardware cloth again and again.
That makes sense! Do you recommend several little hay boxes and hiding places in their aviary? And what plants do quail like? I want to make sure my quail have the best life and live a long one too.

That makes sense! Do you recommend several little hay boxes and hiding places in their aviary? And what plants do quail like? I want to make sure my quail have the best life and live a long one too.
Just about anything will do as a hiding place. I use cardboard boxes, baskets, flower pots, etc. Make sure that they have at least two holes in them so they don't get backed into a corner. They seem to prefer hiding places where they feel like they can't be seen, but they can see out. Dollar store baskets work well.

Back
Top Bottom