Incubator too crowded?

Ray987

In the Brooder
Apr 22, 2024
Hello everyone!

I started incubating a new batch of eggs couple days ago (this is my 2nd time) first time I only put like 20 eggs but this time I filled the incubator (fits for 48 eggs) I'm wondering if it's too crowded? Would the chicks be fine when they come out or what? It feels like there's no space for the chicks + the shells

Attachments

• IMG_20240507_152752.jpg
    IMG_20240507_152752.jpg
    254.9 KB · Views: 11
You will probably have some eggs that are infertile or quit so you can remove those and have more space
True even tho I don't have the experience to spot quitters yet but I'll remove infertile eggs but these might be a very few

True even tho I don't have the experience to spot quitters yet but I'll remove infertile eggs but these might be a very few
If you post good candling pictures, people here can help you spot quitters. But yes it might be very few.

My incubator was pretty crowded last batch, and what I did was take the ducklings out after just a few hours so there would be extra room. And I also removed empty eggshells. I had a very successful hatch doing it this way. I added water when I lifted the lid to remove ducklings, and had no problem with shrink wrapping

If you post good candling pictures, people here can help you spot quitters. But yes it might be very few.

My incubator was pretty crowded last batch, and what I did was take the ducklings out after just a few hours so there would be extra room. And I also removed empty eggshells. I had a very successful hatch doing it this way. I added water when I lifted the lid to remove ducklings, and had no problem with shrink wrapping
Wouldn't opening the incubator cause pipped eggs to dry out? How does adding water help?

Wouldn't opening the incubator cause pipped eggs to dry out? How does adding water help?
I added water by misting a bit of water inside the incubator (using a tiny spray bottle) after opening it to boost the humidity back up quickly. The humidity never dropped much and honestly I probably didn’t need to mist, but I wanted to make sure the humidity returned to normal quickly. The humidity was very high (80%+) because so many wet ducklings just hatched

Everything I’ve read here on this forum has said that as long as you open the incubator quickly during lockdown, the pipped eggs won’t dry out. In my experience that was true.

I added water by misting a bit of water inside the incubator (using a tiny spray bottle) after opening it to boost the humidity back up quickly. The humidity never dropped much and honestly I probably didn’t need to mist, but I wanted to make sure the humidity returned to normal quickly. The humidity was very high (80%+) because so many wet ducklings just hatched

Everything I’ve read here on this forum has said that as long as you open the incubator quickly during lockdown, the pipped eggs won’t dry out. In my experience that was true.
I have a mist device inside the incubator I guess I could just turn it on when I open the incubator just to be safe, thanks for the info!

after a chick/duck hatches and they are still wet the humidity spikes, this is when I open mine to do what I have to. then there is no need to mist etc since it is already so high and once you open it and close it again it rises VERY quick because of the wet baby, like almost instantly. I haven't had an issue with shrink wrapping doing it this way. I have also had to open it with pips and no wet baby and I haven't had an issue since I do it very quick.

Back
Top Bottom