Interesting cockerel behavior

Well, your guidance that these things change constantly during their first year is spot on! These are the new developments/observations:
  1. The GLW is actually courting now with the wing dance, although not always -- sometimes he gets right to mounting. Even with this positive development, I still see him occasionally pluck a pullet's neck feathers for no apparent reason. Hopefully he'll grow out of that.
  2. Now that the GLW is mounting hens, I've been paying attention to the Australorp's behavior during those "sessions." The first time I witnessed it, the Australorp hung around and circled the pair (no wing dance), as if to keep a close eye on things. The second time I witnessed it was the GLW with one of the older hens. She allowed him on, the GLW did his business, then the Australorp climbed on and did his! I had always read that the lines between their "harams" was clear, but they had no problem sharing this one. While the GLW was on, the Australorp did the same circling as before... maybe just waiting his turn.
These two cockerels seem unusually comfortable with each other!

Back
Top Bottom