International Black Copper Marans Thread - Breeding to the SOP

Here is another Max x Queen pullet I caught up. She is a breeder for sure.

View attachment 1605368

she nice and correct ,love her hackle marking .her rich copper ,her long back and her gorgeous tail .
her comb need work .I can see she has too many point .
mate her to your new cockerel you got from the breeder and you end up producing some stunning BC marans .

she is stunning bird .
her chest does not look deep from this photo ,maybe it is just the way she is standing .

Do not mate her to the Black cockerel above . both have had comb ,he is not going to add any thing to her .don t go back ward in your breeding program.

chooks man

Here is my only cockerel I kept out of the Mashburn cockerel and Sheraz. He runs with my free ranged birds.

What do you think about him @Chooks man ? His tail is a tad high but his copper is a deep color and I think he would do well over some of my well colored pullets with lower tails like the one I posted earlier. His sire was mahogany. His underfluff is dark also which I like.

View attachment 1605566 View attachment 1605567
Pardon my backyard.. it's a mess right now. Lol

he is not the best you bred .too black .
one thing you have is well coloured rooster ,so don t go back ward is this trait .
red shoulder must have other wise you ll go right back to the beginning .

I always said Select the correct coloured rooster and mate him to the correct body type hen/hens.
the black { extra melanin will creep on you and will be hard to breed it out }

Rooster correct body colour
Hen correct body type

the low of breeding great chooks

chooks man

PS .don t make your life too hard .now you have Duke ,no need to look else where .mate him to all your correct hens/pullets and start your line .

chooks man

20181202_122956-jpg.1605368

@kfelton0002

I really like this pullet work with her well .
you are one step away from producing 100@ correct BC marans .

simplify your breeding program now , Because you have Duke s .work with him Like I did with my Zambezi .mate him to all your best hens/pullets and go from there .

chooks man

he is not the best you bred .too black .
one thing you have is well coloured rooster ,so don t go back ward is this trait .
red shoulder must have other wise you ll go right back to the beginning .

I always said Select the correct coloured rooster and mate him to the correct body type hen/hens.
the black { extra melanin will creep on you and will be hard to breed it out }

Rooster correct body colour
Hen correct body type

the low of breeding great chooks

chooks man

PS .don t make your life too hard .now you have Duke ,no need to look else where .mate him to all your correct hens/pullets and start your line .

chooks man

Yeah that's what I've been thinking too but have been going back and forth and been on the fence. I have been putting off getting rid of the Mashburn/Sheraz cockerel because he has a really good temperament. Luckily I know a little girl that will give him a really good home. I have plenty of cull pullets to go with him that will make her very happy. All her chooks got killed by dogs. :)

20181202_122956-jpg.1605368

@kfelton0002

I really like this pullet work with her well .
you are one step away from producing 100@ correct BC marans .

simplify your breeding program now , Because you have Duke s .work with him Like I did with my Zambezi .mate him to all your best hens/pullets and go from there .

chooks man

Sounds like a great plan to me. He is going to be one busy fella very soon with all the ladies he is going to have to keep up with. lol

she nice and correct ,love her hackle marking .her rich copper ,her long back and her gorgeous tail .
her comb need work .I can see she has too many point .
mate her to your new cockerel you got from the breeder and you end up producing some stunning BC marans .

she is stunning bird .
her chest does not look deep from this photo ,maybe it is just the way she is standing .

Do not mate her to the Black cockerel above . both have had comb ,he is not going to add any thing to her .don t go back ward in your breeding program.

chooks man

Thank you! She does need some breast depth. Hopefully she'll fill out as she matures more, they usually do. I have got to get everybody penned where I want them for breeding soon. Trying to get all my ducks in a row. :)

Yeah that's what I've been thinking too but have been going back and forth and been on the fence. I have been putting off getting rid of the Mashburn/Sheraz cockerel because he has a really good temperament. Luckily I know a little girl that will give him a really good home. I have plenty of cull pullets to go with him that will make her very happy. All her chooks got killed by dogs. :)

it is a best way to deal with cull .
she ll be happy for sure .

chooks man

Back
Top Bottom